Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
View Poll Results: What suspension and installation would you recommend?
Heavy duty stock springs - install myself
22.22%
Heavy duty stock springs - have mechanic install
0%
OME 2 inch lift - install myself
77.78%
OME 2 inch lift - have mechanic install
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions, decisions! (springing for a new suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Decisions, decisions! (springing for a new suspension)

My leafs are saggy, the tires rub on bumps when people sit in the back seat, and now it's time to do something about it. Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Replace the dead stock springs with new stock heavy duty springs (all 4 corners) and keep the shocks I have (25K miles old). Parts cost: ~$400 + tax

2. Upgrade to a 2 inch OME lift that includes new springs and shocks. Parts cost: ~$870 + tax

Why not a bastard pack or junk yard parts? It's my wife's daily driver and it needs to ride and corner well. I need to know she's going to be safe. Also, I'd like to keep the lift height low enough so not to need an sye or other expensive parts. The 2 inch lift is a more attractive option than stock as my summer work takes me on forest trails and up mountains, but it definitely costs more. I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations! I included a poll-- hey, why not collect some data, right?

The final question I have is about installation. I have a set of basic tools and jack stands. I do my own oil changes, spark plugs, and easy fixes on the jeep when stuff breaks, but I've never done anything like install a suspension. The rusted-on nuts and bolts are my biggest concern-- either breaking them off or not being able to move them at all. How hard is it going to be to put a suspension on myself? Or (and I know this is Cherokee Forum heresy) how much would it cost me to have a shop do it? Thanks for your thoughts and input, everyone!

--LFH
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Bump... I'm hoping someone can speak to my second question about whether/how I would be able to install a lift myself, and alternatively how much it would cost to have a shop do it. Thanks in advance for reading my post, which was probably too long to begin with.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM

to keep the ride good use stock front coils and 2" spacers....

Rear either OME or quadratecs HD replacement springs which will give ya 2".

it will ride almost like stock with that combo and should keep ya under $300ish doing it yourself and you should be able to reuse your shocks.