Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death Wobble When Slowing Down

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Death Wobble When Slowing Down

1989 XJ 4.0 Auto 4x4 115,000 miles stock height on 30's.

Have a death wobble issue sometimes. I can be driving along fine and hit a certain speed and I can feel the Jeep sort of barely wanting to shimmy but nothing bad at all. But if I just tap the brakes then it can go violent as f**k. If going down hill it is much worse, when it happens. I just want ut to be smooth all the time haha.

Based on the way in which mine does it what do y'all think is the primary culprits of the usual suspects?

1. I'm thinking it could be tires
- going to change them around and see it that effects it at all.

2. Or maybe tie rod end
- going to check that out if tires change nothing.

3. Or maybe my transmission mount
- Going to change that to a Mopar once and for all. The after markets suck. Solves my exhaust knocking the cross member for like a week then it slowly comes back. I'm thinking my motor mounts and trans mount may be slighty twisted or something. So these both are getting changed as soon as possible regardless of wobble or not.

4. Lastly, warped rotors
- Pretty obvious

I realize these above 4 are not the only causes of death wobble but are my suspicions for the cause of mine based on the way mine has death wobble. Or do you think it's one of the other usual culprits, such as u-joints, ball joints, control arms, etc. I also need a new steering stabilizer but I know it is not the cause of death wobble and just helps hide it as a band aid. Still will be putting a new one one. But would actually rather solve the wobble first.

Just trying to narrow it down instead of throwing parts.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,079 Likes on 864 Posts
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
I realize these above 4 are not the only causes of death wobble but are my suspicions for the cause of mine based on the way mine has death wobble. Or do you think it's one of the other usual culprits, such as u-joints, ball joints, control arms, etc. I also need a new steering stabilizer but I know it is not the cause of death wobble and just helps hide it as a band aid. Still will be putting a new one one. But would actually rather solve the wobble first.

Just trying to narrow it down instead of throwing parts.
Crawl under and look at and feel all of the above, looking for slop while someone moves the steering back-n-forth. Most of the time, you can spot the problem parts. Alignment and a worn out stabilizer can exacerbate the problem, but it's generally something is worn out and sloppy.
The following users liked this post:
Chick-N-Picker (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
Crawl under and look at and feel all of the above, looking for slop while someone moves the steering back-n-forth. Most of the time, you can spot the problem parts. Alignment and a worn out stabilizer can exacerbate the problem, but it's generally something is worn out and sloppy.
Yeah, had the death wobble happen on the interstate today. Eff that. Intensely violent. Couldn't get it to stop. Had to throw my flashers and come to a stop on the side of the interstate. I will be addressing this issue as soon as possible, hopefully no more than 3 weeks before I can get it fixed. Because eff what happened today.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Any play in the track bar?.... sometimes the bushings look good but under actual load (use) going down the road, there is a little play if the bushings are slightly worn. Had that happen to me but fixed it before I ended up with the famous jeep death wobble.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
Agree. The only way to attack death wobble