Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death wobble, question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Death wobble, question.

I have researched and read up quite a bit, but this question i havent been able to find an answer to.

Can an alignment/unbalanced tires ALONE cause the wonderful thing we call death wobble?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Alignment/unbalanced tires alone cause death wobble? That's two things. The unbalanced tires will cause vibration but not the D Wobble. Alignment is the leading culprit in DWobble. Namely too little caster! When we lift jeeps we loose caster as the lower control arms pull our front axle back at the bottom. That is why longer lower control arms are available. If you are 3" or less lifted you can add shim at the box mount on rear of lower control arm to regain caster. You will still have a rougher ride as the control arm will point downward rather than level but you can control the DWobble. Second causes are worn joints, steering damper, shocks, and rod ends. When we lift we also need to let the track bar extend, hence longer adjustable track bars, this keeps our suspension centered with the frame/body of our jeep. Again is you are lifted under 3" the lower track bar bolt can be relocated toward the driver side about 3/4" by drilling a new hole. That is often enough with a moderate lift. If your lift is greater you will need a longer track bar and/or the extending mount bracket adapter kits. If you have wobble and stock height and your front end parts are in good shape, then you need and alignment, caster! As for toe straight up or inward 1/16" will do it. No toe out! A good site for additional info, good pics, and explanations is GOJEEP.com Do you currently have DWobble?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 PM

I just had unbalanced tires, just two of them and they were both in the front. I experienced something similar to death wobble, but it was not. My front would shake and steering wheel would shimmy, but nothing like a death wobble. Good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thank you peep for that information, very helpful. I just finished my lift over the weekend, havent gotten alligned yet so im hoping thats the cause.

Everything in the front end looks in pretty fair condition, so i wanted to ask before i got the allignment in case an allignment wouldnt cause it by itself. Don't wanna get alligned then get new parts and throw the allignment off, waste of money! haha. Again thanks very much and ill update after my allignment which unfortunately wont be til monday, work work work.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H/O

i needed an alighnment anda steering stabilizer. if you did the lift kit and kept ther stock steering stabilizer. thats almost certainly the culprit but if u replace the steering stabilizer and get an alighnment, then move on to trac bar, tie rods, bushings....death wobble sucks!!