Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death Wobble at 55mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Death Wobble at 55mph

Hello All, I am trying to understand death wobble, my jeep is a 1992 cherokee. I have had it since 1995. ten years ago I installed a 4 in lift kick and used BF Goodrich 31 10.5 tires. Up to date, the lower control arms bushings were worn out and I could feel and hear the metal hit when I hit a pot hole and bumps. On the highway it ran great no issues. A few weeks ago, I replace the bushings on the lower control arms. Now the jeep feels stable and when I hit a pot hole it is smooth. Well now I got death wobble. I can't go 55 mph on a backroad or highway. If I do hit 55 mph without death wobble, it goes steady until I hit a small bump the death wobble appears. I did search youtube videos they talked about the track bar, so a few days ago I replace the track bar and took it for a drive and still death wobble. Anyone know of anything else that I can look at the fix this problem? Or help me understand why death wobble is present after I installed the new bushings. If i replace every bushing and arm would that fix it? One more thing, when I was installing one arm on the driver side, it aligned to the blot holes, but when I was installing the passenger side, it did not align to the holes. I had to put one and move the axle about half an inch forward the put the bolt in. Thank you for any information you may share with me.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When doing my control arms, my passenger side replacement was just as you described. It settled out of alignment just like yours, and required some pushing/pulling to get things back together. Normal.

With an old worn-out front end, any number of components or a combination of worn components can lead to death wobble.

However, I have read about 200 death wobble and loose steering posts now. There is a consistent theme running through all of them. Everyone treats the steering box as the last possible cause. Its no coincidence that it is the most expensive and complicated part to replace in the mix, so I get it. But I have seen posts where someone actually said...."I just don't know what to do next, I mean I have replaced everything but the steering box, and I just don't know what it could be".

So, put a hand on the input shaft to the steering box, and a hand on the output shaft (pitman arm) and have someone gently rock the steering back and forth. The two shafts should be moving in close coordination. If there is play between the two, that play can be a direct cause of death wobble, because the steering box is designed to counter-act sudden changes in steering that happen during death wobble, and also allow it to develop.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Hi Jordan96xj, thank you very much for this info. I will to this right now. If there is no play when doing this, then my steering box is ok?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

OK so on my daughters 93 Grand cherokee it ended up being the upper control arm body side bushings.

Max
Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by gootz4u
Hi Jordan96xj, thank you very much for this info. I will to this right now. If there is no play when doing this, then my steering box is ok?
It means it might not be the first thing you give your attention to. But you do want to make sure that not only is not having problems with play, but that it is mounted correctly, and that it has no movement against the frame. If the steering box is not solidly mounted to the frame, it is basically the same thing as having play. If all that is in order, then I would start looking at all of the other possibilities:

1. Crontrol arm bushings
2. Tie rod ends
3. Ball joints
4. Track bar mount and connections
5. Alignment
6. Wheel balance and tire condition
7. Caster angle

Do you still have stock lower control arms?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the tires too. It will be a combination of worn parts, alignment and bad tires. I've had your experience. Changed bad/worn bushings etc. Finally went away with new tires.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
all of the other possibilities:

6. Wheel balance and tire condition
I'd check balance. Also there is a reason most call for a tad of toe in. It keeps any play gently biased one way to keep it from wobbling. If I saw a spec for 0* toe-in, I'd still give it an 1/8'th-3/16" of an inch at the tread. (just 1/8 for tires under 30")

I might jack up the front end and wiggle the wheel. Have someone do that and look for play, places like the Pittman arm and TRE's , wheel bearings ect.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Thank you Max, I did check the upper arms and as far as I can tell, one bushing in worn out. The others still look centered but Im pretty sure I need to put new ones.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:00 PM

this is great info, No I do not have the original arms anymore.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Thank you all for the information, just an update. Well, I had my sister turn the steering wheel right side to left so that i can check for any play. Now I can hear a clump noise when I turn left. So I think I am in the right direction. Well something else, When I installed the new track bar and it did not make a difference, I realized that I didn't put any grease in the joint so this morning, I put my grease gun to it and greased it a little. It made a hug difference, I was able to get it up the 65 mph but I can feel a little vibration. I am going to replace the tie rods and upper arm bushing. Time to get it done. Oh and my battery died on it yesterday so I had to buy a new battery. Geez, but I can't get ride of this jeep. I live this jeep. I guess its a jeep thing. ha
Old 07-13-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by readytomount
I would check the tires too. It will be a combination of worn parts, alignment and bad tires. I've had your experience. Changed bad/worn bushings etc. Finally went away with new tires.

yeah your right, I do need new tires.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

I had meant just check the tire balance. With the wheel on the ground you wont find any play in the bearing. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Fixed!!

Thank you all very much for your input and time. I fixed it. I replaced everything. Yes, the upper arms were freaking hard!!! I almost put the jeep on its side with me under it. I couldn't line up the holes and I just kept lifting one side and the jeep slide off the jack. I finally used a come-along and that was hard but I finally got it. Then I replace all the tie rods and the steering stabilizer. I already had to get new tires so I put them on my credit card. Its running great! I learned a lot from doing this. Thank you all.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran