Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dead gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dead gearbox?

Hi folks,
Just been gifted a non-working 97 grand cherokee laredo 2.5 td. It had a heating problem (big hole in pipe!) and had been sitting for 6 months. But with a couple of jubilee clips and some 1" hose this problem was all sorted.

Unfortunately after getting it taxed and MOT'd (live in UK) got 350 miles towards home (Scotland), was sitting on cruise comfortably on the motorway and starting to feel smug, when a terrible grinding noise got louder than the NIN on the stereo.

Pulled over, AA said gearbox dead and they dragged me home. (On inspection there's oil drops on back of car - think a seal went pop somewhere on the run, ran out of lube and the car decided that if I wasn't going to help it, it wasn't going to help me!).

Am now looking for a second hand gearbox and transfer box, but a breaker here suggested that there were several transfer boxes used on this model, this year (97).

Anyone know if I'm being spun a yarn? as he's not got the cheapest gearbox/transfer box combo on the interweb and I dont want to spend £500 on something that doesn't fit.

Were several transfer boxes used? or could I buy a separate gearbox and transfer box from different breakers, without concern?

Cheers

Bort

PS. Loved the ride that I got (albeit a bit shorter than I'd hoped, and really want to keep the vehicle because I like it (apart from that infernal immobiliser - any way that can be ripped out?). Hoping to get it up and running for winter.

PPS - Mods, if I've put this in the wrong place - sorry, and feel free to put it where it should be - I just wasn't sure where to post..

Last edited by Bort; 08-06-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: unsure forum location