Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dead blower and mystery connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Unhappy Dead blower and mystery connector

Some time ago the blower in my '87 Laredo (4.0l) died. It stopped working at all speeds. A couple of days later it mysteriously came back to life, only to stop working for good the next day.

Since then, I have replaced the blower motor (junkyard special but works fine when 12v applied directly), the resistor, and the switch. The fuse is fine.

Any other suggestions?

Also, when replacing the resistor today, I noticed a mystery connector hanging loose near the resistor (passenger side, under dash). I'll try to attach a pic of it.

Any idea what the heck that is??

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

well this is why i love this forum....this happened to me today....blower motor stopped working, then an hour later it started back up....then about half hour later turned off for good, now i cant get it back on again...hope to see some good answers here...although i didnt check out the problem yet...ill just sit back and watch to see what answers you get
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Since someone else is also hoping for a reply, I thought I'd give this thread a little bump.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Good and bad news. The good: it is working again. The bad: I'm not entirely sure why.

As a last-ditch attempt to find a fix before breaking down and taking it in to the garage, I removed the switch to make sure it wasn't burned out, which I understand can sometimes be a problem. It looked fine, so I decided to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. There was quite a bit of accumulated gunk inside the switch.

When I was re-installing the cleaned switch, I noticed that one of the connectors at the back of the blower switch/control unit (sorry - not sure what it's called) - the one on the passenger side behind where the little light bulb lives - was a little loose. So I re-fastened it and threw my dash back together.

Now it works fine.

So it could have been a gunked-up switch, a wonky connection, a blown resistor, a crappy blower motor, or a combination of any/all of the above. I think I will use a bit of sugru just to be sure that connection doesn't come loose again, but it seems to be working perfectly.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:57 PM

And I still have *absolutely* no idea what the heck that stray connector is for!