Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dashlight short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default dashlight short?

i have a 91 xj, when i go to turn on my dash lights i blow my parking lamp fuse. what could be causing this? ive checked all my wires around my head lights and everything there fine, pulled out the radio. its ok there. idk where else i could look? and help would be appriciated
Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Zab243
i have a 91 xj, when i go to turn on my dash lights i blow my parking lamp fuse. what could be causing this? ive checked all my wires around my head lights and everything there fine, pulled out the radio. its ok there. idk where else i could look? and help would be appriciated
Do you have an aftermarket stereo in there? I ask because there is a wire behind the radio that gets 12+ when you turn on the lights and it may be grounding out...Tj
Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Do you have wiring diagrams for this vehicle?

If not buy a book, Haynes manual, the chiltons doesnt have poo for wiring diagrams.

This is not an unheard of problem, but it is not all that common from what Ive seen, and there seems to be different solutions each time.

I had a similar problem, and I searched and searched for other posts pertaining, there were few. One guy found a short in the wiring harness between the disconnect under the drivers side kick panel and the drivers tailight, and ran a new wire to fix it.

I eventually narrowed my short down to a wire that runs up from the drivers side tailight disconnect to who knows where (door or other side tailight?) it was just a 2 wire connector that seemed to go nowhere. I just disconnected it and no more short. this was factory spliced from the tail light (running light) wire (Blue if I remember correctly). I never did figure out what it goes to, everything still works.

Basically you will have to identify which wire has a short in it, then start narrowing down where in the wire it is by disconnecting the connectors that are connected to the destination lights, and the disconnects throughout the vehicle.

Hope this helps.