Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash Removal? AC Vents NOT working. 97 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dash Removal? AC Vents NOT working. 97 cherokee

I have searched and read a LOT of posts on here and most of them have the ac or heat ONLY blosing out the defrost. Mine blows out defrost and/Feet. Both of these controls work great. When i try to make it blow out the vents it acts like it wants to work but doesn't.... It doesnt blow out the defrost or the feet when the vents are selected. I dont know where the air if going but it act like to me that the vents are closed....

I know someone on here will say its a vacuum leak and it may be... I checked the canister under my bumper and it has 1 tube in it and it looks new. I was told i should have 2 coming to it? Anyone know how many I should have? Also I took the selector **** off and it checked the tubes connected to it. They are all different colors. They looked new also. I traced these wires behind my glove box and thats as far as i can see them. UNDER THE HOOD i was checking lines and noticed that the one line that goes in THROUGH the dash from under the hood is cracked. The line goes in by the heater hose. I hope I am decribing this correctly. Anyways it has a small hairline crack. I put electrical tape all over it and tried it agian and there was no change.

Can anyone tell me where this hose is connected to under the dash and How do i replaced the whole hose? Secondly, could this be all of my problem or do you think my vents are closed or blocked or something... Or could it be my switch?

When I turn the selector to vents I hear it trying to go through the vents so i think there is a blockage........

They reason I dont think it vacuum related is becasue it works on the floor also.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thanks
TJ
Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I really can't help you, but:

in THROUGH the dash from under the hood is cracked." that one may be a big deal. If it is the main vacuum to the business you may want to replace it if it is cracked. Your engine and your whole control system doesn't like vacuum leaks. Actually any cracked vacuum line should be replaced.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5

I am kinda having the same issue. I cannot switch between the different vents. Mine is stuck on the defrost,, which is ok as winter is coming.

BUT

I really enjoy having that hot air blast me in the morning from the front vents.

I DID replace the right fender ,,, Mebbee I knocked something off out there as I did notice one of those vacume (sp) canisters up there.

Anyone have any idea of how many lines go in to it and out?

Same issue I believe

THANX
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1999
Engine: 4.0

The hose that goes through the firewall is the main vacuum source for the ac. That piece needs to be repaired before you try to diag any further.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You have a vacuum source problem, there is no need to remove the dash. Check the vacuum ball behind the rt side of the front bumper for cracks and if the hoses may have been pulled off.