Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Darn You XJ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0L
Default Darn You XJ!

Hello everyone, I've been having issues with my jeep having too much pressure in the engine, and oil has been blowing through the oil cap, and grommets on the top of the valve cover, and then making its way down to the exhaust, and making smoke come into the car!! Not Good! Why is there so much pressure?? any Ideas?? compression test results will be in later today hopefully. Pressure has been not as bad as it was lately, but I see a new small spot of oil every morning. Pretty sure its not from a leak elsewhere.

PS rebuilt engine in december, honed cylinders, new rings, new bearings, crank, cam, and other misc. Thoughts as of now are maybe rings were put on upside down. Pretty much it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Dude no disrepect but, if you don't know how to properly install piston rings, you have no business rebuilding engines. Sounds like the engine is just way overfilled with oil to me. What do you mean by compression test results "will" be in? Didn't you do the compression test yourself? Takes about a half hour to check all 6 cylinders with a hand held gauge that screws in the sparkplug holes.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mycherokee1989
Hello everyone, I've been having issues with my jeep having too much pressure in the engine, and oil has been blowing through the oil cap, and grommets on the top of the valve cover, and then making its way down to the exhaust, and making smoke come into the car!! Not Good! Why is there so much pressure?? any Ideas?? compression test results will be in later today hopefully. Pressure has been not as bad as it was lately, but I see a new small spot of oil every morning. Pretty sure its not from a leak elsewhere.

PS rebuilt engine in december, honed cylinders, new rings, new bearings, crank, cam, and other misc. Thoughts as of now are maybe rings were put on upside down. Pretty much it.
if all you did was hone the cylinders and not boar them
its probably the rings not seating right
so you are getting blow by
Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

haha buck. I'm not a dumb *** but we all make mistakes. I know how to install piston rings, and my step dad is an engineer (not saying the best mechanic, but he knows his stuff) and he walked me through the whole thing, we have a shop filled with about 5 motors in it right now. I'm going to go do the test once I get some other things done, but Rings not seated properly was another thing that we thought. Forgot to mention that ^^. It only has about 1600 miles on the new engine. We bored (may not be the right word) out the lips on the cylinders, to get the pistons out, and did not use oversized pistons.
Rings were offset when we put the pistons in, but any ideas of how to get them to seat better? I've been running non-detergent SAE 30 oil, because a guy at napa told me thats what he learned back in the day to do when rebuilding. (I've only had this in for 600 miles now and I'm changing the oil some time this month)

Last edited by mycherokee1989; 04-12-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

engine has been low on oil because it is leaking
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

haha buck. I'm not a dumb *** but we all make mistakes. I know how to install piston rings, and my step dad is an engineer (not saying the best mechanic, but he knows his stuff) and he walked me through the whole thing, we have a shop filled with about 5 motors in it right now. I'm going to go do the test once I get some other things done, but Rings not seated properly was another thing that we thought. Forgot to mention that ^^. It only has about 1600 miles on the new engine. We bored (may not be the right word) out the lips on the cylinders, to get the pistons out, and did not use oversized pistons.
Rings were offset when we put the pistons in, but any ideas of how to get them to seat better? I've been running non-detergent SAE 30 oil, because a guy at napa told me thats what he learned back in the day to do when rebuilding. (I've only had this in for 600 miles now and I'm changing the oil some time this month)
the rings will never seat the cylinder is cone shaped now
Old 04-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mike37
the rings will never seat the cylinder is cone shaped now
What do you mean the cylinder is cone shaped? because I removed the lip off the top? Or because there is so much wear on the engine itself?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

What do you mean the cylinder is cone shaped? because I removed the lip off the top? Or because there is so much wear on the engine itself?
both
Old 04-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mike37
both
You need to remove the lip to get the pistons out in the first place tho, unless you go from underneath. I didn't go any further in than the rest of the cylinder already was.

Last edited by mycherokee1989; 04-13-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

So what then, it needs to be re-sleeved?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Schmoozer
So what then, it needs to be re-sleeved?
thats what I'm wondering, because I'm pretty sure the solution is not to rebuild the whole engine again.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

You need to remove the lip to bet the pistons out in the first place tho, unless you go from underneath. I didn't go any further in than the rest of the cylinder already was.

thats why it needed to be bored out at a macing shop to the next size up pistons so every thing is strait and true

I'm sorry and not trying to be an ***
but if you don't know what I'm talking about you should not be doing the work until you have watched someone that knows what he is doing
Old 04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright well our local shop looked at the block, and didn't say we needed oversized pistons, and my step dad has rebuilt several sunbeam engines, a vw engine, and we currently have a sunbeam tiger that we race, and he has put hundreds of hours into, so I'm pretty sure that he and the shop would have known if we needed oversized pistons and needed to bore out the engine.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Alright well our local shop looked at the block, and didn't say we needed oversized pistons, and my step dad has rebuilt several sunbeam engines, a vw engine, and we currently have a sunbeam tiger that we race, and he has put hundreds of hours into, so I'm pretty sure that he and the shop would have known if we needed oversized pistons and needed to bore out the engine.
I don't know what they were thinking
cus if the ring ridge was big enough to keep the piston from coming out the top it needed to be bored

pistons were the top of the cylinder more than the bottom
because of how they get lubrication so you get a cone shape that you cant see by looking
Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

you would have ben better off leaving the old rings they were already seated to the odd shape of the cylinders

Quick Reply: Darn You XJ!