Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is it dangerous to drive our Jeep with worn out front axleshaft U-Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is it dangerous to drive our Jeep with worn out front axleshaft U-Joints?

We have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and a few weeks ago my wife started noticing a clunking sound coming from the front when turning. The sound has gotten progressively louder this past week. I put the Jeep up in the air today and the front axleshaft U-joints are clearly worn out (lots of play in both of them). The thing is, she'll be going out of the country to visit family in two weeks and that will provide me with time while she's gone to either replace them myself or have my mechanic do it (jury's still out on that decision). She needs to drive to work 7 more times between now and when she leaves for her vacation (44 miles round trip, almost all freeway).

Do you all think the vehicle is safe for her to drive? We're keeping it in 2WD of course. I am concerned though about what happens if and when one of these U-joints completely fails? Is it catastrophic? Or does it leave the vehicle stranded?

If I have to, I can drive her to work and pick her up each day (and would rather do that if the Jeep is dangerous as it is now).

Thanks for your opinion(s),

John
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

I'll tell you what, knowing i had worn axle U-joints, worn enough to clank would drive me crazier than i already am.
IMO right or wrong, i wouldn't let a relative small problem turn into a big problem.

I had worn U-joints on my old '94 with a 231 part time xfer case.
Went through two maybe even three sets of them in 350k miles on that old XJ.
I attributed that to driving on patchy dry pavement while on patchy ice/snowy roads while in 4x4.
And also forgetting i was in 4x4 on drier pavement until a wake up call when i made a turn on dry pavement. lol
Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

That clank clank clank sound is coming from the axle shaft ujoints near the hubs.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Well the hubs and knuckles hold the wheel through the ball joints. The axle shafts don't hold the wheels in place, just transfer the energy when the front differential is engaged. So theoretically it should be safe.

However, if the u joint comes apart while driving, then who knows what might bind up or jam against something else and reacts negatively. Who knows for sure. I would hate to say go for it and then have something bad happen. You are taking your chances.

If you do take it all apart, might as well do the ball joints and wheel hubs if they are original - they are at the end of life by now and will have to be done soon too. Get it all done at once and save yourself the trouble of taking it all apart again.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

They do not hold the wheel on, so that probably won't be an issue. But they should be considered a safety item when significantly worn out. Because they allow the knuckles to move in relation to the axle shafts when turning the vehicle. If they fail catastrophically, then steering could be compromised. If that should happen, they will also likely damage the axle shafts, requiring even more expense to fix. U-joints are cheap. They job is relatively easy (2 hours for the DIYer).

If work is more than a few miles away, with speeds greater than 40mph. I wouldn't use it until fixed.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive driven much further distances with far more compromised u-joints & other parts.....How I would make the decision is, as long as the u-joints have all their caps and visually look ok I would drive it, just avoid turning as much as possible haha...

If a cap is loose or compromised, snap rings missing, I would bag it, as the joint can let loose & do any number of things, ive ripped the ball joints right out of the c's breaking them on occasion. I keep a stub on a hub for these occasions and just stuff a rag in the axle tube.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Freeway speed ? rolling the dice IMO. Any binding or hiccup in wheel speed is magnified at 70mph.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Hi everybody,

Thank you for the replies. In the end I decided to leave the Jeep parked until the new Spicer U-Joints arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

In the meantime, me and my old 240-Z are the wife's chauffeur and limo...

Cheers,

John