Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 44 backing plate interchanges?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dana 44 backing plate interchanges?

New member to the forum and have learned so much want to send a big thank you to all on the forum it is quite the community!

I picked up my 95' Cherokee Sport w/147k about a month ago and love it. Its a 4.0 5spd with a RC4.5" lift,T-case drop, 17" unlimited wheels on 32"s. Since acquiring the rig Ive done the gauge cluster swap, replaced the t-case output shaft seal, Dana 30 pinion seal, redline MTL in the trans and Royal Purple ATF in the T-case. I have since turned my attention to the rear diff......

Its a corporate 8.25 with stock gearing. Its been making some noise only while going 35 to 40mph at very light throttle so popped open the diff to find shiny pitted spider gears and figured that was it. Replaced the spiders with Yukon stuff and while at it I did the axle seals and new bearings and filled her up with Valvoline 80/90. Still makes noise now gettin worse I think maybe pinion angle and U joints??

I just scored on a Dana 44 out of an 87XJ so the build up is being put to paper. My dilemma is one of the backing plates is hashed to the point of no return. Ive seen the disk brake swaps but being on a budget I would rather go disk later down the road.

Is there any interchange between any other dana 44's like a scout or somethin I can swap out with?

Thanks!