Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 front axle oil seal question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4litre inline 6
Question Dana 30 front axle oil seal question?

I have a 1990 cherokee with what I believe to be a stock dana 30 front end. yesterday I found a bad u-joint on the right axle.So I took it all apart and pulled out the axle .Then headed up to the local rip off parts store for a new u-joint and hub! (The old hub took quite the beating to remove) got my parts home and installed the new u-joint (found my torches worked great for removing the old u-joint) I reasembled everything and torqued it all down just like the good book said to! After a quick drive last night I determined the angry sparrow was gone(thats what it sounded like!) This morning I took a run up to my favorite lake for some fishing. 200Ks there and back. When I got home I crawled underneath for a look and found oil streaked on the inside of the right front tire and oil in the axle yolk! The Haynes manual I'm going on dosent show a outer seal on the front axle. so I'm wondering if with the front end fairly high up on the jack stands and with the axle removed ,Is it possible some oil got over the inner seal and sat in the housing ?

Last edited by Gonnatradeitforbeer; 07-21-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I C you havnt gotten any help here yet. This is a great forum but our tech base is still growing.

TRY

WWW.NAXJA.ORG

This site has alot better tech base but may be a harsh on you if you dont search alot for the answer prior to starting a thread.

Last edited by XJ Stryker; 07-22-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Gonnatradeitforbeer
I have a 1990 cherokee with what I believe to be a stock dana 30 front end. yesterday I found a bad u-joint on the right axle.So I took it all apart and pulled out the axle .Then headed up to the local rip off parts store for a new u-joint and hub! (The old hub took quite the beating to remove) got my parts home and installed the new u-joint (found my torches worked great for removing the old u-joint) I reasembled everything and torqued it all down just like the good book said to! After a quick drive last night I determined the angry sparrow was gone(thats what it sounded like!) This morning I took a run up to my favorite lake for some fishing. 200Ks there and back. When I got home I crawled underneath for a look and found oil streaked on the inside of the right front tire and oil in the axle yolk! The Haynes manual I'm going on dosent show a outer seal on the front axle. so I'm wondering if with the front end fairly high up on the jack stands and with the axle removed ,Is it possible some oil got over the inner seal and sat in the housing ?
What you are imagining as the scenario may be what occured. You could have damaged the inner seal in the axle removal & re-install. It is probably OEM which makes it 18 years old. They can become fragile with age. You may consider watching it for differential fluid loss and keep a close eye on it. If it seems to be at a stable level then your scenario is correct but if you are noticing a drop in fluid then mine is more likely.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
I C you havnt gotten any help here yet. This is a great forum but our tech base is still growing.

TRY

WWW.NAXJA.ORG

This site has alot better tech base but may be a harsh on you if you dont search alot for the answer prior to starting a thread.
Thank you for the replys! XJ stryker that naxja referal was awsome. Found step by step teardown for the Dana 30! Way better than my crappy manual ! Going to round up some more parts, and tear it apart tomorrow! Thanks again..
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Well if you could take some pics and start us out with a good Dana 30 Write up over here.

Last edited by XJ Stryker; 07-22-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Yep naxja has a great bit of useful info if you use the search button..but you ask something that an old timer has seen talked about you will get spanked..
Old 07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Yep naxja has a great bit of useful info if you use the search button..but you ask something that an old timer has seen talked about you will get spanked..
Hard!!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Renix Super Guru

Well it could be worse over there, just try asking a question, even after an extensive search, on Pirate and you will have 3rd degree burns over half your body. Flames like a blow torch over there. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Yeah I only search pirate never post that place is evil...I saw a guy ask a legit question and well I found out why he only had 1 post and never posted again infact I bet he never logged in again..I know a couple local guys who are regulars over there and they are ***** on and off the board..lol
Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Yeah I only search pirate never post that place is evil...I saw a guy ask a legit question and well I found out why he only had 1 post and never posted again infact I bet he never logged in again..I know a couple local guys who are regulars over there and they are ***** on and off the board..lol
Yeah, I have run into a few of those "Regulars" here and they seem to be most stuck-up group of people I have ever tried to talk to. I’ll look for info but I will very rarely post anymore. As a mater of fact, I just let my membership laps.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Renix Super Guru

Been a member there for 18 months and have 24 posts on PBB been a member here for 4 months and have over 6000 posts here. That ought to tell you something about PBB.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Old girl is still up on the jack stands ! got the front end almost back together But figured I may as well replace the Left hub and u-joint while I'm there! Just waiting for Lordco to open up ! I phoned Napa for a price on the hub and was told $250 ,Lordco has them for me for $93 ! Took some pics will get them in here asap!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gonnatradeitforbeer
! Took some pics will get them in here asap!
Great!!!

You sir are awesome!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Ok its back together, Looks good ,feels good, Dont see no leaks. Mind you she's only been around the block ! I must thank you folks again ! Never thought I'd say this ,but that was Fun!! Think I might try my hand at welding up some home made Bumpers now !
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Did he just say a hub assembly replacement was fun.....

Someone needs to slap him right quickly...

Quick Reply: Dana 30 front axle oil seal question?