Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 bearing issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Dana 30 bearing issues

Started tearing into my front axle in order to change the u-joints and unit bearings. After I took the nuts off the ends of the axle shafts, for some reason I gave a little push on the end of each shaft and they both very easily slide farther into the axle. I figured that was good as it showed that they weren't stuck in the hubs. However, after I got the hubs off and shafts pulled out, I realized that little push forced a rusty surface on each shaft into each axle seal. That made me paranoid, so I decided to go ahead and replace the seals too.

Popped off the bearing caps, pulled the carrier and found this...

Pass side.

Name:  IMG_2571_zpsk33rywnv.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2572_zpscnrmpktm.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  68.9 KB

Driver side

Name:  IMG_2573_zpsqi1sh5ip.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2574_zpsrerasiek.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  70.8 KB

So it looks like I need to replace the inner bearings and I'm questioning whether or not to pull the pinion to give it new bearings and a seal too...

The problem is I need this thing back together soon and I only get a few hours every week to work on it. It was a third vehicle, but will be needed for daily driver service in the not too distant future. I'm driving a VW TDI right now that I'll be turning in as part of the buyback and I don't want to rush into buying something else. So, a few questions...

1. Given the state of the inner bearings would you guys recommend I go ahead and change the pinion bearings...or am I overreacting? I know that involves re-shimming and checking patters...and I work super slow...so that leads me to the next question.
2. Is there any reason I can't pull the front drive shaft, plug the axle tubes, reinstall just the unit bearings and run it as a 4x2 until I buy another daily driver and then can take my time with it?
3. If I don't pull the pinion and just replace the carrier bearings, do I need to worry about shims anywhere since the races will be changed?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Do not, I repeat, do not simply install the unit bearing without the shafts. The shaft stub and nut is what holds the bearings together, you will loose your wheels without it.

Replace the carrier bearings and put it back together.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Since both bearing are bad there is a good chance the pinion bearings are funky as well BUT you are in a pinch so if it were me I would replace the carrier bearings put the shims back in the same positions and put it all back together. Your gear spacing and backlash will be close enough to keep you on the road for a while till you can do everything right later.