Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears

I am digging into my 1987 D44. The rear axle seal has been leaking. I have the axle pulled, and bearing came apart in two sections. Tapered part still on the axle and the outer race stuck in the axle. I trying to pry it out with a seal puller with not much success. Claw hammer about the same. I don't want to damage the outer axle by prying to hard. Do they make something for the slide hammer to remove this? I tried drilling a hole in a piece of flat metal and grinding it down to fit. Needless to say that was a wasted 30 min. I wasn't able to get the flat metal to slide in place.

My other question is while the axle is out, I thought it might be a great time to weld the spider gears. I wanted to pull the carrier out and weld it on the bench. I didn't want to get any splatter on the inner carrier splines for the axl shaft. I was wondering how most people weld them up with out getting splatter on the ring gear or inner splines. I work for the telephone company. Telephone cable has an outer copper shield. I was thinking of wrapping the ring gear with a blanket of copper, then sliding some copper in the inner axle shaft. Then turn up my stick with a 8011 rod and start welding.
Attached Thumbnails D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears-d44-inner-carrier.jpg   D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears-d44-inner.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Im guessing your outer axle bearing is what your talking about here. The race can be very stubborn. I purchased an axle bearing puller set from Harbor Freight and broke the tool I needed rather quickly. I then went to my local Auto Zone and got their axle bearing pullers. They work with a slide hammer. I have had some come out with the puller and some that required a little heat. Auto Zone will let you bring the tool back for a return when your done with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

From an old Mustang forum I frequented back in the day.. A forum member welded his diff. Was asking why the performance sucked when he was done with the mod..

Be sure to use enough sticks/wire! Can't EVER use enough!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM

From those who have taken the carrier out to weld it, Any major concerns with the reinstall? I have already taken off the 4 retaining bolts and bearing caps. I hope I didn't get to gun-ho to soon.
I was sure going to weld it solid reason for taking it out of the axle. I also wanted to be able to re-install the axle shafts if needed.
I have used tin foil to keep any splatter away from other areas. I was hoping to cover the ring gear with foil.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

It's not recommended to do the Lincoln Lockers if you are going to use it on the road. If it is strictly an off road rig it would be perfectly fine.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

its a cherokee sized real D44, i have 1 to an know alot of ppl would realy die for 1, all im offering is mabey keep saving up and buy a real locker so not to half *** a good part, and a real locker is a better option if it is a DD.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by diego94
its a cherokee sized real D44, i have 1 to an know alot of ppl would realy die for 1, all im offering is mabey keep saving up and buy a real locker so not to half *** a good part, and a real locker is a better option if it is a DD.
This.

Side note. It's called a tapered bearing that's how it comes apart. Also you need a very large press to get the bearing off the axle.

Your scaring me with wanting to destroy a d44 like that.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM

I was able to remove the axle, then remove the outer race of the bearing with funky bearing removal tool. I have the new bearing pressed in on the passenger side. I moved on to the Driver and the seal was not leaking but sure looks rough. The snow ball effect begins. Looks like I will also do the driver side as well.

I tried to pry on the carrier a little to bring it to the welding bench to weld it up. The sucker is sure stuck in tight. I will have to get some larger pry bars, and try to remove it. Now my question is it really worth the trouble to remove it to weld it. My goal is to :
1. Not get any slag on the ring gear.
2. Not get any slag on the inner spider gear splines so In the future I can change out axle shafts.
3. Install with out problems of ring and pinion.

This is strictly a off road toy. I have 4 Jeeps. This one is the trail machine.
As far as messing up a desirable D44, Only change would be the carrier.
Wouldn't I need a lower carrier to re gear from 3:54 gears anyway? Say if I wanted to go to 4:56 ?
This is the reason I still want to be able to remove my axles after it's welded.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM

How inportant are the inner axle seals on the D44? I have new ones on order from the parts store. While removing the carrier I was checking out the seals. While in the axle may as replace them. My question is why did Dana make them with seal when they have an outer axle seal? Wouldn't the outer bearing last longer with diff fluid running back and forth from outer axle to diff case?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowes
How inportant are the inner axle seals on the D44? I have new ones on order from the parts store. While removing the carrier I was checking out the seals. While in the axle may as replace them. My question is why did Dana make them with seal when they have an outer axle seal? Wouldn't the outer bearing last longer with diff fluid running back and forth from outer axle to diff case?
The outer bearings are supposed to be packed with grease.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
The outer bearings are supposed to be packed with grease.
Yes, I understand they are packed with grease. But would 80 weight oil from the diff allow for more lubrication? I guess I'm over thinking it. It has lasted this long. It has all Timken bearings yet.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowes

Yes, I understand they are packed with grease. But would 80 weight oil from the diff allow for more lubrication? I guess I'm over thinking it. It has lasted this long. It has all Timken bearings yet.
Way over thinking it.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM

I got the outer seals and bearings pressed in. Bought a Harbor freight 20 ton press. The inner what I thought was a seal was just RTV silcone. I picked up a set of seals for the inner but they are two large for the axle shaft. It has a lot of space between the axle shaft and seal. Yet it is two small to seat correctly in axle housing. Federal Magul part number 481837.

I used copper sheath to protect ring gear from splatter. I also stuffed the inner splines with copper. Welded up ready for reassembly.
Attached Thumbnails D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears-101_5544.jpg   D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears-carrier-welded.jpg   D44 bearing removal and welding spider gears-carrier-protection-2.jpg  

Last edited by Lowes; 12-22-2012 at 11:54 PM.