Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cuts out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default cuts out while driving

So my '00 is dying when driving it. Once it reaches operating temp. Just cuts out. No sputtering, no weird gauge crap, no no bus signal, no CEL or pending CEL's. Started right back up every time except once where it just cranked. Sat on the side of the road for no more then two minutes, started right up and got her home. So despite the fact that I appear to not be having all those issues, except the stalling, I am still leaning towards the CPS. With the weather being what it is I am still going to try and get under there to do the resistance test I read about and clean up the connectors with some electrical cleaner. Anybody have any thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
2000XJFan (07-11-2021)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Ralph77
So my '00 is dying when driving it. Once it reaches operating temp. Just cuts out. No sputtering, no weird gauge crap, no no bus signal, no CEL or pending CEL's. Started right back up every time except once where it just cranked. Sat on the side of the road for no more then two minutes, started right up and got her home. So despite the fact that I appear to not be having all those issues, except the stalling, I am still leaning towards the CPS. With the weather being what it is I am still going to try and get under there to do the resistance test I read about and clean up the connectors with some electrical cleaner. Anybody have any thoughts?
My buddy at work just went through this with his 00. His issues were almost verbatim to what you typed. Sometimes it would start back up and sometimes it would just crank with no turn over. We replaced the CPS. It’s been driving with out issues for about 1.5 months now.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
My buddy at work just went through this with his 00. His issues were almost verbatim to what you typed. Sometimes it would start back up and sometimes it would just crank with no turn over. We replaced the CPS. It’s been driving with out issues for about 1.5 months now.
Well hopefully I can do the test today and check the wiring. Haven't been outside yet though. Guess my goal of not working on my Jeep till Spring is not going to happen this year. I checked at the store and we have the Echlin CPS in stock. Even with my discount it will run me $61 not including tax. Can grab a real Mopar one off Amazon for $79 before tax. Thing is it is about a week out. Fortunately even though my Jeep is my DD and only vehicle I own not that big a deal. I live a 1/2 mile from work, don't have a life, have plenty of food in the house, etc. LOL.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Well hopefully I can do the test today and check the wiring. Haven't been outside yet though. Guess my goal of not working on my Jeep till Spring is not going to happen this year. I checked at the store and we have the Echlin CPS in stock. Even with my discount it will run me $61 not including tax. Can grab a real Mopar one off Amazon for $79 before tax. Thing is it is about a week out. Fortunately even though my Jeep is my DD and only vehicle I own not that big a deal. I live a 1/2 mile from work, don't have a life, have plenty of food in the house, etc. LOL.
LOL, I would just get the real deal MOPAR. Buy once, cry once.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

LOL, I would just get the real deal MOPAR. Buy once, cry once.
That is my thinking too. Since I can get by without the Jeep.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Well I got out there to do the resistance test as performed in the Bleepin Jeep Video. I am not getting a beep which means it is supposedly good. But when stone cold not sure about when it would get hot and stall out. Tried the ohms test that other guys are talking about but getting weird readings not corresponding to anything they are saying. So I am unsure at to what the problem might be. Let it idle in the driveway for awhile and after some time she stalled out. No sputtering. Like you turned the key. So I am at kinda of a loss.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Well I got out there to do the resistance test as performed in the Bleepin Jeep Video. I am not getting a beep which means it is supposedly good. But when stone cold not sure about when it would get hot and stall out. Tried the ohms test that other guys are talking about but getting weird readings not corresponding to anything they are saying. So I am unsure at to what the problem might be. Let it idle in the driveway for awhile and after some time she stalled out. No sputtering. Like you turned the key. So I am at kinda of a loss.
Id still be willing to bet it’s the CPS. Have you checked your battery connections?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Id still be willing to bet it’s the CPS. Have you checked your battery connections?
Yes. But they are not in the best shape. But thinking it is not the problem. Why the battery cable upgrade, alternator upgrade, and headlight harness upgrade are all on Springs to do list. Also don't think it is fuel related be cause the Jeep does not sputter and die. Like you turned off the key when it happens. I ordered the Mopar CPS. While I try not to just throw parts at the Jeep I am third owner. I just assume that anything I haven't replaced is original. I have 160K on the clock. So I figure regardless on how this plays out I get a brand new Mopar CPS out of the deal.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Yes. But they are not in the best shape. But thinking it is not the problem. Why the battery cable upgrade, alternator upgrade, and headlight harness upgrade are all on Springs to do list. Also don't think it is fuel related be cause the Jeep does not sputter and die. Like you turned off the key when it happens. I ordered the Mopar CPS. While I try not to just throw parts at the Jeep I am third owner. I just assume that anything I haven't replaced is original. I have 160K on the clock. So I figure regardless on how this plays out I get a brand new Mopar CPS out of the deal.
I think your making a pretty good educated guess with high probability. I troubleshoot electrical control systems nearly everyday. There isn’t always a big smoking gun. Sometimes you just have to look at all the variables and pick the most probable one.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

I think your making a pretty good educated guess with high probability. I troubleshoot electrical control systems nearly everyday. There isn’t always a big smoking gun. Sometimes you just have to look at all the variables and pick the most probable one.
Fingers crossed and all that. Thanks for the help by the way.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Fingers crossed and all that. Thanks for the help by the way.
You bet, keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd also make sure that the CPS wiring is OK. I was reading a thread about doing the CPS and the guy didn't secure the wires to the firewall and it damaged the wires. If yours have come loose you could have a similar issue.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PatHenry
I'd also make sure that the CPS wiring is OK. I was reading a thread about doing the CPS and the guy didn't secure the wires to the firewall and it damaged the wires. If yours have come loose you could have a similar issue.
All the wiring looked to be positioned where it was supposed to. No chaffing on tape or loom that I could see.

Ordered the 2 bolts for the CPS too just incase. Part# 6503520.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Have the bolts and the CPS now. Called my buddy to help me. Told him I would throw him some money. He built a garage that is unbelievable. Big bucks. Has a lift that handles his Dad's Dodge Crew Cab Dualie Diesel like nothing. Figure at least get to do the repair inside. Help him pay for the garage. LOL. He helps me with advice and whatnot so it is the least I can do. Unfortunately I might not be able to get the Jeep there. Stalled twice on the way home from work. I live a 1/2 mile away. Of course it was Main St. and rush hour. Can only imagine how pissed people were. Can't say I blame them. Almost did not want to start but did after a few seconds both times. Got her home and let it idle in the driveway for a bit. Of course it seemed fine. Now this is before it reached operating temperature. When it died I was more worried about how I was screwing up traffic then listening to how she died. So I am just assuming it just cut out like it has been doing. Thinking I am going to be doing the CPS replacement myself in the cold.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What's the fuel pressure in psi?

Quick Reply: cuts out while driving