Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default custom exhaust

Looking to replace exhaust system on 87 Cherokee.
Thinking of Thunderbolt CAT 2.25" to Magnaflow muffler with 2.25" out the rear.
Not sure the best way to mount the exhaust to the body by the CAT, currently has flange mount to transmission mount. The mount for the exhaust has come loose from the transmission mount and is rattling on the transmission cross member. I would like to eliminate the flange mount and just weld it all the way.
The muffler shop said I should keep the exhaust connected to the transmission mount.
Has anyone installed the exhaust without the flange mount on the transmission? If so how did you support the CAT ?
I think, I need to use a hanger with a rubber insulator of some type to reduce vibrations.
What has worked for you all?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

You are right on point sir. I just had my true dual exhaust installed and i did not use the trans mount exhaust hanger, i actually took that piece off a while ago.. Anyways i did have the exhaust shop weld new hangers with rubber insulators to reduce vibration.. You can still fell it but its not to bad. But i also took out my carpet and herculined the interior. so that doesnt help with vibs. Anyways it can be done just make sure the exhaust shop knows what they are doing.

Also you can weld the new cat to the 2.25 piping. I have my mufflers welded in w/o cats. So you should be in the clear with your exhaust setup.