Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise control not working - 99 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Hcl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cruise control not working - 99 XJ

Hello All,

Was wondering if you guys may know what would make my cruise control stop working. It was working fine one day and now just won't turn on. It did turn on once or twice since then and worked fine, but usually just doesn't turn on. I have a 1999 Cherokee sport.

I was wondering what the most likely things to check first would be. I've tried searching previous threads and found a little but not too much. If anyone knows a link to a similar thread, that'd be great too.

Thank you!
-Hayden
Old 01-29-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For me it was a broken wire in the clockspring. Any issues with the horn or airbag light?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:25 PM
Hcl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

The horn works fine, and the airbag light comes on and off periodically with no relation to the cruise control not working.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hcl
The horn works fine, and the airbag light comes on and off periodically with no relation to the cruise control not working.
The airbag wiring and cruise wiring goes through your clockspring. My cruise would work on and off for about half a year then later the airbag light on off periodically seemingly unrelated one to the other. Clockspring replacement fixed this.