Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Cruise Control Install

Hello, i have a 99 cherokee sport and i get first dibs on a 97 jeep cherokee classic when it arrives at the junkyard (97 up cherokees are hard to find where i live without traveling far) and one noticeable thing that caught my attention was it had cruise control on it which mine doesnt and being it seems every option that was available can be swapped in because they have covered connectors. my question is can i install the cruise control system from that into mine with no issues? and if so what would i all need to make it work i know you have the control thing that pulls and holds the throttle, controls for the steering wheel and you also need the clock wheel? since i was taking the steering wheel off to replace mine that should be the thing to pull as well but my question is what else would i need to potentially do to make it work like do i need to put fuses in or relays? also side question can i swap in an overhead console with no problems as well?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

In the process of making both those upgrades to an '00 using parts from some '99's I have raided. Now I have done some research and have parts but have not actually done the job.

As far as the cruise control goes it appears the steering wheel controls will not work. '97 and '98 are interchangeable and '99 to '01 are too. So the those will not work. It also appears that everything else you need is. When you remove the steering wheel from the donor you will also find a very short harness behind the switches that you need. Not sure how interchangeable that is. So here are a couple things I have saved to help do the job. Seems pretty straight forward.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-97-xj-906542/

As to the overhead my research seems to indicate that you can get any year to work with any year but some are more plug and play then others. For instance '00 and '01 are interchangeable. I think '98 and '99 are too. I think '97 might be on its own. So for me to get the '99 harness to work in the '00 I have to do a couple things. The wiring harness for the overhead has two connectors that go down to the fuse box. Run down behind the passenger side pillar. On of the connectors has to be repined. Also the lighted visors. '99 is a one wire set up with an internal ground. '00 is a two wire set up. So I am going to assume you are raiding the '97 for the overhead too. My advice is take everything just to have it. The overhead, the bracket the overhead attaches to the roof with, the wiring harness I talked about, the visors, and don't forget to grab the ambient temp sensor up front underneath. Maybe even grab the headliner. But I think that will not work to easily because I believe '97 does not have a built in sound bar. But it might be a good idea to take it or measure it so you can do the cut outs in your headliner. I posted a couple pictures. First one is the fuse connector I talked about. Second is the visor connector. '99 is on the left and '00 on the right. Please take everything I have said with a grain of salt. What I think I know results from research on the internet. Also I believe the fabric will not match. '97 being Mist Gray and '99 being Agate. So visors, overhead, and headliner (assuming you can use the one from the '97) will have to be recovered. Unless you don't care. Also if this is a pick and pull bring a steering wheel puller. You can rent one at most auto part stores. I personally have just pulled the whole steering column on a couple. It is easier just to get out of there quicker. But chances are they will charge you more if you do that.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Install-img_0336.jpg   Cruise Control Install-img_0322.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph77; 04-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

so much is for being plug and play completely lol. thank you so much for this info it was very helpful. i figured id run into some problems tho as i had this problem before with a wiring diagram and changed the way they go and such. so cruise is a no go for the time being... crap i kinda wanted it this month lol, also where would i find that temp sensor at? ik its in the front somewhere but is there an exact location? this jeep i know was in a front end crash so maybe it woulda been knocked off or so. and im not to worried about the color matching if its similar itll pass, i just like the way it looks. and im not to worried about the steering wheel i took them off before with just hitting it with my hands backwards shockingly it came off (junkyard time constraints and desperation kicked in) to fix my tilt with a part from the junk jeep (120 miles just for that i hate inaccurate junkyards) anyways thanks this was alot of help! i was planning on making a weekend warrior but still be a nice cruiser and not go all out i even was thinking of just putting limited slip diffs in it lol.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by EEVEE
so much is for being plug and play completely lol. thank you so much for this info it was very helpful. i figured id run into some problems tho as i had this problem before with a wiring diagram and changed the way they go and such. so cruise is a no go for the time being... crap i kinda wanted it this month lol, also where would i find that temp sensor at? ik its in the front somewhere but is there an exact location? this jeep i know was in a front end crash so maybe it woulda been knocked off or so. and im not to worried about the color matching if its similar itll pass, i just like the way it looks. and im not to worried about the steering wheel i took them off before with just hitting it with my hands backwards shockingly it came off (junkyard time constraints and desperation kicked in) to fix my tilt with a part from the junk jeep (120 miles just for that i hate inaccurate junkyards) anyways thanks this was alot of help! i was planning on making a weekend warrior but still be a nice cruiser and not go all out i even was thinking of just putting limited slip diffs in it lol.
Don't be so quick to admit a temporary defeat. First I might be wrong about the switches. But don't think so. If so though look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-Jeep-C...JY5nEv&vxp=mtr

Pretty sure about every thing else working on the '99 from the '97 except the little harness. Ask in the "Ask A Question" Thread or poke around a bit on the internet.

Temp sensor is in the middle under the lower radiator support. Will look like this.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHT...earchIndex=App

Click on the words Buyer's Guide on that page. They used that same sensor in a boat load of Mopars. That Buyer's Guide will tell you all the cars it is in. I am sure you can find one in the boneyard.

Good Luck