Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise control addition 97+

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default Cruise control addition 97+

Just finished the install. Started the Jeep and nothing exploded. Success #1 lol. Pushed the cruise on button and nothing. Failure #1. Tried horn, no go. Failure #2. Airbag light and no horn with the old airbag and clockspring. The previous owner's mechanic installed a bypass for the horn with a push button switch that I just took out, still worked before I took it out after installing the new (to me) stuff. I bought the switches from Lowrange2 on here and he said he pulled them from a 98 (sent a follow up pm to double check).

So how do I troubleshoot the clockspring to confirm that's what it is?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 PM

Also the Dorman part # for the w/o cruise control clockspring for the xj and wrangler is the same. I've read the cruise control version for the wrangler also works for our xjs. If I confirm it's my clockspring I'll try it out and let you guys know here of it does work.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by rklettke
Also the Dorman part # for the w/o cruise control clockspring for the xj and wrangler is the same. I've read the cruise control version for the wrangler also works for our xjs. If I confirm it's my clockspring I'll try it out and let you guys know here of it does work.
The 98 wrangler clockspring is in. I have a horn and no airbag light now. The cruise light still isn't coming on. The light should still come on in park right?

I haven't heard back from Lowrange2 about the switches yet.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Problem with solved. Had to take the Jeep somewhere and was just playing with the buttons. Light came on. Cruise works. Now it comes on with one normal push of the button lol.