Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cross member question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cross member question

I just installed my new exhaust system which includes everything from the down pipe back is rattling against the transfer case cross member, can I cut the lip off the member where the pipe hits it without any structural integrity loss or is there a way I can drop the member like 1/2" to prevent the contact between the two? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

Dent or bend the exhaust tube for the extra clearance needed.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Won't denting or bending the exhaust cause a restriction in air flow through it?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Mr_Grimm13
I just installed my new exhaust system which includes everything from the down pipe back is rattling against the transfer case cross member, can I cut the lip off the member where the pipe hits it without any structural integrity loss or is there a way I can drop the member like 1/2" to prevent the contact between the two? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
How's the hole in the isolator look? Is it all stretched out so the pipe hangs down too far. See pic. If that support rod on your new pipe was welded on in the wrong place it may be forcing the pipe downward againt the crossmember.

This is a pic of my sorry isolator and pipe. The support rod on my pipe is rusting away to nothing (as you can see in the pic) and is allowing the pipe to sag down. If I put a jack under the pipe and lift it, i can can temporary get clearance on the crossmember but it sags back down again and hits. I think I'll take it to a muffler shop and have them lift it then weld the rod in the proper place.

Name:  TransmissionMountBrcket52058882.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  984.8 KB
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Sometimes a sagging transmission mount can cause the rattling exhaust issue as well (your transmount looks actually pretty new, CCKen).

Just check for clearance between T-case and the crossmember to verify this. It should be a good 3 or so fingers width between the two.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Roler
Sometimes a sagging transmission mount can cause the rattling exhaust issue as well (your transmount looks actually pretty new, CCKen).

Just check for clearance between T-case and the crossmember to verify this. It should be a good 3 or so fingers width between the two.
It is new.