Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

creaking on RC X-FLEX control arms!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default creaking on RC X-FLEX control arms!

My new RC X-FLEX control arm will not stop creaking! When the suspension compressed or decompressed the control arm sends a creak that can be heard through out the entire truck and really gets annoying!

They are the new control arms with the johnny joint. and are greasable and have been greased over and over... could it be to tight?

Also the other side doesnt do it??? I dont understand it!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I just put a set of upper and lower X-Flex control arms on my 91 XJ, as well. The creaking you hear sounds like you don't have te bolts tight enough at the axle end where the bushing is. Creaking usually means a bushing slipping on metal under pressure. Re-torque your control arms at the frame and the axle to OEM specs. I have had issues with the clamping nut at the adjustment area coming loose on mine. I've had to re-tighten them twice now. I cranked them down with my biggest monkey wrench last time and they have stayed tight since even through a wheeling trip. You cmight also re-check that you have greased them enough. I love these control arms off road. They have almost doubled the suspension travel of my XJ.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
I just put a set of upper and lower X-Flex control arms on my 91 XJ, as well. The creaking you hear sounds like you don't have te bolts tight enough at the axle end where the bushing is. Creaking usually means a bushing slipping on metal under pressure. Re-torque your control arms at the frame and the axle to OEM specs. I have had issues with the clamping nut at the adjustment area coming loose on mine. I've had to re-tighten them twice now. I cranked them down with my biggest monkey wrench last time and they have stayed tight since even through a wheeling trip. You cmight also re-check that you have greased them enough. I love these control arms off road. They have almost doubled the suspension travel of my XJ.
They're as tight as i can get them! I never did try the uppers though maybe ill try the upper ones!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem. me its the flexjoint that creaks...the two sides.

i tried torque up a 130 and 150 feet pound and it still does it

then i did the opposite. the max torque i can give before hearing creking is about 40 feet pound what is really not enough

what can i do?