Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crazy radiator fan/ other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Post Crazy radiator fan/ other issues

Hi guys, i know i'm new on here but figured maybe it was the best place to turn at this point. So to start its a 94 cherokee 4.0 5 speed, the electric fan would not kick on i noticed about a week ago, no big deal until im driving in town and my temp gets way above where i like it... so first things check the connections all good checked the fuse box under the hood, relay has 2 hots so were all good there.. checked the sensor all good.. spliced to the battery fan works good. rewired the whole thing... so now the freaking electric fan wont shut off, i have went over it at least 20 times i know i have it all wired right and i checked the error code im getting error 55 with the check engine light... which means no more errors, so why is my fan not shutting off. id rather have it on then off and if we cant figure it out ill just unplug it come winter and plug it up in the summer. Sorry to be a Pita.. but i appreciate your help. Thank you all
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Klroach92
Hi guys, i know i'm new on here but figured maybe it was the best place to turn at this point. So to start its a 94 cherokee 4.0 5 speed, the electric fan would not kick on i noticed about a week ago, no big deal until im driving in town and my temp gets way above where i like it... so first things check the connections all good checked the fuse box under the hood, relay has 2 hots so were all good there.. checked the sensor all good.. spliced to the battery fan works good. rewired the whole thing... so now the freaking electric fan wont shut off, i have went over it at least 20 times i know i have it all wired right and i checked the error code im getting error 55 with the check engine light... which means no more errors, so why is my fan not shutting off. id rather have it on then off and if we cant figure it out ill just unplug it come winter and plug it up in the summer. Sorry to be a Pita.. but i appreciate your help. Thank you all
Stuck relay?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 AM

sorry i forgot to mention i replaced relay already because i thought that as well, and correct me if im wrong but fan should kick on at 218 right? thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Klroach92
sorry i forgot to mention i replaced relay already because i thought that as well, and correct me if im wrong but fan should kick on at 218 right? thanks
If ya pull relay it shuts off?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM

yes, if i take the relay out it shuts off, it actually may be unrelated but now the damn thing is bogging down real bad when i first start it up, im afraid maybe something in the fuse box or wiring harness may be shorting out i just unplugged the fan all together now because it was draining the engine really bad which makes no sense to me the only thing i can figure is maybe the wiring harness, or possibly ecu hope not. If ya'll have any other suggestions or experience with this issue id'd appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

coolant temp sensor control fan operation might be shorted ? also check codes key on key off method might shed some light even if light not on .Also is ac compressor coming on ?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM

i just replaced it today, this thing is really becoming a huge pain.. The engine stalled 3 times today coming to a stop,and check engine gives me code 33 and 55 now, would the ac have anything to do with this? this is getting crazy i re wired EVERYthing took the ecu and verf hots to all connections.... for something so simple and i know it has to be, i checked all my vaccum lines for seals as well and all are fine. when i get in in the morning its hard to start, i drive its fine then it shuts off at stops and when i start it back up it revs way up to 3k rpm for about a minute or so i actually up shifted to keep it from getting higher. i dont understand it at this point... is it possible the crankshaft sensor could cause this?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

This just started out of the blue or after wire job ?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM

I got it fixed, the ecu got shorted,,,, i replaced all my sensors just to be safe and make sure and all is good now... Thanks for your help.