Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

crazy engine swap idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default crazy engine swap idea

Hi all Im new to the forums and new to jeeps all together. I recently had an unfortunate event from a storm when a tree fell and completely crushed my only means of transportation. Long story short I needed something quick to get back and forth to work so I found this 89 Cherokee for 500.00 its in decent shape for the year all it needed was a transfer case swap and one came with it(np231). Ive got some shift problems but from what Ive read the tps is in need of adjustment i replaced it and the tcm but the tranny shifts through the gears fast. Either way its drivable so Im happy lol...My real question is I have a 89 toyota supra 7mgte(turbocharged) fully built 800+hp engine sitting in my basement plus auto and manual trannies, Ecu and harness injectors tank fuel pump etc.... Could this be a possible swap for the 4.0 seeing as though its starting to do a little leaking here and there and I dont know how long this 230,000 plus motor will be lasting. Second I know the motor will fit its way smaller than the stocker but what transfer case and shafts etc. to go with or will I be able to match up the stock ones somehow to make it work.

Sorry for the long post but I figured Id ask

Thanks

Rodney
Old 06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I've never heard of putting a toyota engine in an xj before, but most people don't recommend doing engine upgrades on an xj even if upgrading to another jeep engine (like going from a 2.5L to 4.0L). It's a lot of work and things in the engine compartment are placed differently on the different engines (powersteering pump, alternator, etc.). You'd have to do a lot of fab work. Plus, because you said your motor was "built" I'm assuming its turbo-ed or twin-turbo-ed so you would have to find room for your intercooler too as well as many other parts that don't have a place on an xj.
In my opinion, it sounds like a lot of work and a lot of money for a $500 jeep. I would recommend putting that money toward buying a replacement 4.0 (you could get a solid running used one for around $500), or building a stroker if you want the extra power.
Again, just my opinion. If you think its worth it to do all the work to get that supra motor in there then go ahead, and post a build thread here so I can see it, sounds like an interesting mod.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by champscl
Hi all Im new to the forums and new to jeeps all together. I recently had an unfortunate event from a storm when a tree fell and completely crushed my only means of transportation. Long story short I needed something quick to get back and forth to work so I found this 89 Cherokee for 500.00 its in decent shape for the year all it needed was a transfer case swap and one came with it(np231). Ive got some shift problems but from what Ive read the tps is in need of adjustment i replaced it and the tcm but the tranny shifts through the gears fast. Either way its drivable so Im happy lol...My real question is I have a 89 toyota supra 7mgte(turbocharged) fully built 800+hp engine sitting in my basement plus auto and manual trannies, Ecu and harness injectors tank fuel pump etc.... Could this be a possible swap for the 4.0 seeing as though its starting to do a little leaking here and there and I dont know how long this 230,000 plus motor will be lasting. Second I know the motor will fit its way smaller than the stocker but what transfer case and shafts etc. to go with or will I be able to match up the stock ones somehow to make it work.

Sorry for the long post but I figured Id ask

Thanks

Rodney
anything is doable with enough work
what tranny did that motor bolt to stock was it a AW4
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
Which motor if your referring to the toyota it was bolted to a R154 which from what im reading may be able to bolt to the Np231 im not sure yet still looking into some things....as for the room in the engine for accessories the only problem I see is the hood which can be easily dealt with. Yes its turbo-ed lol... gt35r precision turbo to be precise its beautiful. I didnt know if had been done to any of you guyz knowledge.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by champscl
Which motor if your referring to the toyota it was bolted to a R154 which from what im reading may be able to bolt to the Np231 im not sure yet still looking into some things....as for the room in the engine for accessories the only problem I see is the hood which can be easily dealt with. Yes its turbo-ed lol... gt35r precision turbo to be precise its beautiful. I didnt know if had been done to any of you guyz knowledge.
this may help you out
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23644
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Dream and anything can happen. I wanted to put a cummins in my 88 before I sold it. Wanted an AWD 10 sec. diesel XJ.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Sweet thanks Im begining to form a plan here lol.... it is possible to keep the aw4 in my jeep and bolt it to the 7m motor. Just gotta work out the bugs on paper lol....
Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

keep us posted on your progress
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

The toyota version of it i think they call it the a340. Edit: nevermind he answered the question

OP i don't think the unibody will handle that much power without some severe plating!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by FlexdXJ
The toyota version of it i think they call it the a340. Edit: nevermind he answered the question

OP i don't think the unibody will handle that much power without some severe plating!

Yeah probably not going to run 800hp in it. The boost will be turned down to run maybe 3-400hp lol... Ive just got the fuel setup for the 7m motor to max out at 800 with 880cc injectors and fuel pumps. The turbo will boost probably 500+hp...but if the aw4 will bolt to the 7m motor Im in business. I read on another site the r154 from the supra will bolt to a ax5 bell housing and I have to get a flywheel from a camaro v6 I think To much info jumbled together right know lo... Ill keep things posted as I find out what I can do...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO straight 6

i personally wouldnt put a turbo motor in my rig unless it is just for street use. having turbo off road makes it hard to stay in the power band of the motor. buddy was always getting stuck where others weren't with his turbo jeep.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Year: 1996 XJ Sport 2007 KJ Rubicon
Engine: 242 4.0 Ho, 226 3.7 V6

800+ turbo in a stock jeep...... I could see you tweaking the unibody with that much power. Also check your axels. You may wanna get beefier axels, such a a D44, or aftermarket beefier shafts. It'd be crazy to see a Supra motor in a Jeep. Definitely original, not your average run-of-the-mill 350 sb swap. As far as moutning up to the Np231 I have no clue. I'm clueless wehn it comes to imports. With adapters almost anything is possible. Keep us posted Good luck
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
800+ turbo in a stock jeep...... I could see you tweaking the unibody with that much power. Also check your axels. You may wanna get beefier axels, such a a D44, or aftermarket beefier shafts. It'd be crazy to see a Supra motor in a Jeep. Definitely original, not your average run-of-the-mill 350 sb swap. As far as moutning up to the Np231 I have no clue. I'm clueless wehn it comes to imports. With adapters almost anything is possible. Keep us posted Good luck
Yeah im gonna try it, ive got the motor in by basement just sitting there. It seems the yotas are running the gte motor in there 4runners and tacos. Plus the Aw4 tranny is the same as the auto Aisin tranny in the supra you just have to switch out the bellhousing. Now Ive got to figure out the transfer case hook up. Im not quite sure how to do the swap with an auto the Ax15 bell housing will bolt to the r154 manual in a supra also Im thinking it might be easier ECU wise because of the speed sensors in the AW4. Problem you run into there is the input shaft is a tad bit to long a spacer would have to be made. Thats where I stand know still looking for info if anybodies got some

Thanx
Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

Thats going to be sick. I would like to see you do a write up in the build section!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You might want to consider a divorced NP 205 with that much power. It will make using the Toyota tranny easier.

Quick Reply: crazy engine swap idea