Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank, no start after running for a few mins in 5°F

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Crank, no start after running for a few mins in 5°F

I started it up just fine – thought the lifters sounded a bit loud and decided to turn it off and restart it right away (which usually helps my lifters (why, I don't know?)).

Trouble is that it wouldn't start, it cranked and cranked and then finally started to sound like it was gasping for air or fuel and slowly turned over (with help from the gas pedal). Drove it a for a bit and it acted like normal, as did it after a quick stop.

It has been around 5°F here today with lots of rime.

What I know:
Fuel meter only showed 3/4 full after a fill-up, and stayed that way during drive, does change now tho.
Fuel pump primes.
Fuel reaches the intake (could smell gasoline thru the oil filler hole).
No hesitation or misfire when running.
CPS is almost brand new, as is the camshaft sensor.

So, what could cause this?

edit. It's a -94 XJ HO
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

I changed my oil to 5W/30, and added a 1 quart of marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of oil and know i have no lifter tic on the cold mornings.

As far as you turning your Jeep of for the lifter tic, and then it nor re starting again.....i would also turn off the motor for 10 to 15 seconds when the lifters would tic first thing in the morning, and unless i pressed the gas pedal half way down, it would not re start again also. The best thing I can think is when you first start the Jeep when its cold, the computer tells the fuel injection system that it is cold, so it dumps more fuel in to the head, the when you shut of the motor, all that fuel is still in the head, and it acts like its flooded out like a carbed motor does , so you have to hold the pedal down to give the motor more air to re start again.....
Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by maddogs1965
I changed my oil to 5W/30, and added a 1 quart of marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of oil and know i have no lifter tic on the cold mornings.

As far as you turning your Jeep of for the lifter tic, and then it nor re starting again.....i would also turn off the motor for 10 to 15 seconds when the lifters would tic first thing in the morning, and unless i pressed the gas pedal half way down, it would not re start again also. The best thing I can think is when you first start the Jeep when its cold, the computer tells the fuel injection system that it is cold, so it dumps more fuel in to the head, the when you shut of the motor, all that fuel is still in the head, and it acts like its flooded out like a carbed motor does , so you have to hold the pedal down to give the motor more air to re start again.....
That really makes sense, it did act like an old flooded engine. Thank you.