Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank case Sensor resolved....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crank case Sensor resolved....

I'm new here and just purchased my first jeep a couple a months ago. I bought a 91' cherokee laredo 4x4 w/ 4.0 and aw4. No modifications.

The first problem was it shutting down at about 4k rpm and it would make a loud clunk ( rod throwing sound) and shut down. With some help found out there was a way the motor would shut down via ecu when it senced a possible 'explosion'... Oh well the clunk sound was a bell housing-motor bolt not connected. I haven't addressed the rpm limit yet as I may need more than that amount of rpms when jumping out in front of another car on accident.

So a couple of weeks went by and I went out to start it and it would run 2 seconds and die. I checked everything I could and read everything I could from yall here and the other forum (which by the way will not let me register) and took a shot at the CCS. The reason why I didn't go that direction before because it was stated that the CCS from my year model would show open (no resistance) when ohmed out. Well I bought one anyway and compared the resistances and both read a resistance. I'll try to report my findings the best I can. Hopefully someone else may benifit as well.
Sorry I'm not experianced in down loading pictures and drawings.

So you'll have to picture in your mind or on paper:

The Circle conector in hand looking at the pins, the plastic gap and or plastic line is at the bottom.

There is a bottom left pin that I'll call (1), a top center pin (2) and a bottom right pin I'll call (3).

The scale is in 'K' ohms.

The old Sensor reads:

meter leads going from # 1-2 pins = 2.4 ohms and 2-3 pins = 8.8 ohms and 3-1 pins = 4.5 ohms.

The new Sensor reads:

meter leads going from 1-2 pins = 4.9 ohms and 2-3 pins = 3.0 ohms and 3-1 pins = 3.0 ohms

So what I found is you can check the resistance to determine if the sensor is diferent than a new one that is. I also read somewhere that the sensors resistance will change with the temperature. If that is the case then you compare like I did the resitance readings with both sensors together at the same ambient temperature.

This test worked for me and may not can be proved with consistancy in the laboratory but It would take alot of persuasion to show me a solid state componant that produces an electrical current through crossing the lines of flux would not show a resistance.

Oh well, thank yall for letting me share and hope someone can prove me wrong so I can feel lucky . I was ready to give my new found jeep away...for free.

Ray.........