Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cracked tube towards back of valve cover...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Cracked tube towards back of valve cover...

Morning Guys- Got the truck on ramps and gave it its first oil change of my day-old ownership. The undercarriage is in great shape and I feel fortunate being in the NE and not having rust thats out of control on this one. I had to sell the other one because it just went too far. I thought I could hear a loud "whooshing" when the truck was idling but as I was filling the oil up noticed a crack and then a break of this tube that leads from the valve cover to the intake. What is this and is the replacement part common? Thanks guys. I don't want to drive this with any form of vacuum leak or whatnot.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

That's a direct vacuum leak. I had to glue mine back together until I could get another one to replace it. It is important to get a new rubber grommet also.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....363384&jsn=390

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....363384&jsn=394

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....363384&jsn=389

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....363384&jsn=393
Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the parts suggestions. Should get this all rectified tomorrow afternoon.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Any HELP wall in any auto parts store will have them and the grommets. The 2 are not the same. One has the pin hole, like in the link that EZEARL gave, the other is just wide open. I always forget which is which. The grommets get all hard and what not. So you might not be able to get it out in one piece. I just used a knife, very carefully, and cut it into pieces. Be very careful not to drop anything in there.

Last edited by cruiser54; 02-20-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Thanks Ralph, I'll pay close attention to the disassembly. I appreciate the help, so far everyone has been great. Extremely happy I joined the forum!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM

So- Getting the hose off the intake manifold was only moderately difficult but I can't budge the grommet and elbow joint. Any helpful tips on disassembly on this PITA?

`Rick
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

You can probably pry out what is left of the PVC with a pry bar. Maybe even the grommet. Or have to cut it like I said before. Might be best to cut a small piece out of the grommet first and the PVC will pop right out. Whatever you do be careful. You do not want to drop anything in there
Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ralph77
You can probably pry out what is left of the PVC with a pry bar. Maybe even the grommet. Or have to cut it like I said before. Might be best to cut a small piece out of the grommet first and the PVC will pop right out. Whatever you do be careful. You do not want to drop anything in there
I think you are right Ralph, I think cutting it first would be the best. Maybe slice it all the way through on both sides opposite of each other with a razor knife? Then maybe when he starts prying it out the half pieces will be large enough to keep from dropping in there? I had to hold mine with a pair of pliers and screw a proper sized bolt down into the plastic elbow and use a claw hammer on the bolt head to pry/pull it out straight so that it wouldn't break off the bottom inside. Sitting the claw hammer on a chunk of 2x4 helped get all the pull angles right with the bolt head.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
I think you are right Ralph, I think cutting it first would be the best. Maybe slice it all the way through on both sides opposite of each other with a razor knife? Then maybe when he starts prying it out the half pieces will be large enough to keep from dropping in there? I had to hold mine with a pair of pliers and screw a proper sized bolt down into the plastic elbow and use a claw hammer on the bolt head to pry/pull it out straight so that it wouldn't break off the bottom inside. Sitting the claw hammer on a chunk of 2x4 helped get all the pull angles right.
I had the exact same problem on my '96 that I used to own. Just have to take it slow, be patient, and all will be fine.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Just have to take it slow, be patient, and all will be fine.
Now THAT makes a good mechanic Sir. So many times I had to tell techs to pack their tool box and get out because wrenches were flying. Most the time it was their own fault for getting in a hurry and forcing things.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Now THAT makes a good mechanic Sir. So many times I had to tell techs to pack their tool box and get out because wrenches were flying. Most the time it was their own fault for getting in a hurry and forcing things.
Yeah well I talk a good game but..... Remember cruiser54's tool definition thread. Most used tool in my box:

SON OF A ***** TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a *****' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Rest can be seen here. That was a funny post.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/to...n-help-240260/
Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah well I talk a good game but..... Remember cruiser54's tool definition thread. Most used tool in my box:

SON OF A ***** TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a *****' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Rest can be seen here. That was a funny post.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/to...n-help-240260/
Lol, don't get me wrong... I have done my share of throwing too. But some environments just don't allow time for it. Like big truck fleet repair when you have a half million dollar time sensitive load and a driver waiting for the truck and the load is almost late as it is. So if you get in a hurry and break other things trying to fix the one thing and throwing fits it actually takes longer to get the truck rolling.

All it takes is one broken off bolt and now "I" have to go call dispatch and tell them they will have to reschedule the load, at a loss of delivery price, because my tech got in a hurry and broke a bolt that now needs to be drilled out after taking half the engine off to get to it. Even in this type of very rushed environment taking it slow and being patient is actually faster. So whether we adhere to it or not, it is very very wise advice man.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 PM

Appreciate the advice guys. Will try to break it off in pieces large enough that it won't drop through the hole.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 PM

I'd be def. interested. I got the old one off finally, took some time and patience but what is the method for reinstalling the grommet and elbow? Fit the elbow into the grommet and then worm it into the hole one the valve cover?

Quick Reply: Cracked tube towards back of valve cover...