Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cps? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default cps? maybe?

Ok so I have a 95 xj with 225,000 miles. It runs awesome. But gives me all of the symptoms of a bad cps. I had drove it about 300 miles(which is a long trip it) and I noticed after it. It started burning oil worse then it did before. I already bought the sensor before I decided to check the trouble codes and all it gave me were no speed sensor(14 I think),and that my battery had been dosconnected.

Now if my cps was bad would it always throw a code? I wanna get all my ducks in a row before I go and start cursing up a storm trying to change the sensor. I don't really fit between the engine and the floor....
Old 08-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Are you talking about your camshaft position sensor or your crank position sensor?

I don't know why burning more oil would be a symptom of either. Classic symptom of a failing crank sensor is poor running...or if it is actually bad, ie "dead", you can crank and crank and crank but it won't start. Fuel and voltage gauges may not indicate right, either.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wha...-sensor-47279/
Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 PM

I should have been more specific. I mean crank position sensor. It does shut off at random while driving. But when i go to start it when I leave for work in the morning it sounds like I has no compression. It has the symptoms of bad crank sensor ie shutting off, but I'm not getting a code.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Nope!
With the XJ's that I have owned only one of them has thrown a code and on that one I had the cps go out twice and it only gave a code once.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 PM

Ok so tottally new problem. Got the cps in,started it and boom super rough idle,fluctuating oil pressure,and the motor sounds like it's struggling. It feels like the engine is rocking back and forth. I didn't try to drive it.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would try and reset the ecm. I have replaced sensors in mine that caused a lot of strange things issues until I reset the ecm. I would give that a shot and see if it helps.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 PM

So I tried the letting the 2 leads touch trick and it didn't work. I'm gonna leave the battery off it over night. Is there any specific way to reset an obd1 computer? I can't really find anything. The only codes in getting now are 11 and 12 which I've read is pretty much normal.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by willdoeeee
So I tried the letting the 2 leads touch trick and it didn't work. I'm gonna leave the battery off it over night. Is there any specific way to reset an obd1 computer? I can't really find anything. The only codes in getting now are 11 and 12 which I've read is pretty much normal.
Did you do this method? Says it works with older Cherokees as well.

This procedure will erase the 1996+ OBD-II “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed. After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics. Perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal clamp and touch it to ground ( not the battery negative terminal ) for 30 seconds. The engine block or the A/C compressor pump will work as a ground. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory).

Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight “On”
Turn Headlights “Off”
Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM. When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory. When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”. The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:02 AM

I didn't try it and i will but I had read that it was kinda a joke to do that. From what I read on other forums people were saying that grounding the positive doesn't relieve all of the energy or something. I dk I'm not an electrician or engenieer so I'll try it after work if taking the battery off over night didn't work.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default cps? maybe?

I didn't try it and i will but I had read that it was kinda a joke to do that. From what I read on other forums people were saying that grounding the positive doesn't relieve all of the energy or something. I dk I'm not an electrician or engenieer so I'll try it after work if taking the battery off over night didn't work.
It won't do anything unless you do the headlight procedure.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 PM

Alright so here's an update. Left the battery off over night and all day. Discharged the positive by touching the ac compressor. Reconnected everything. Did the headlight trick. And nothing still runs exactly the same. At idle oil pressure jumps from about 50 to 60 every 3 or 4 seconds. At about 1250 rpm starts to sputter. Don't really wanna go any higher then that. No check engine lights. Just sputters and sounds like it misses. Pulled all the plugs burnt normally smell like oil. But what doesn't on a jeep. At higher rpms oil pressure levels 0ut, but it still sounds like it's missong. Cap and rotor are new within the last year.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It started burning oil worse then it did before.
But when i go to start it when I leave for work in the morning it sounds like I has no compression.
Compression test.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM

So I talked to some one last night. He recognized my jeep and jeep tattoo from instagram.

So we started talking. He mentioned something about the engine being at TDC when you do the cks. Now is this true? I did not do that.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

So I talked to some one last night. He recognized my jeep and jeep tattoo from instagram.

So we started talking. He mentioned something about the engine being at TDC when you do the cks. Now is this true? I did not do that.

No.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Ok. So I'm at wits end here and it's killing me walking past my jeep everyday when I leave for work .

I've tried,
1.reflashing the ecm
2.checked all plugs and wire,cap,rotor
3.changed the oil.
4.checked every connection
To no end.

It never ran like this before my cps went.
Should I try the cam sensor? Maybe a compression test?
I'm at a loss.

Quick Reply: cps? maybe?