Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Couple of problems after overheating..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Couple of problems after overheating..

Well the other day I was pulling a trailer and it was the hottest day in a while, put it in park and the radiator cap blew and coolant went everywhere, nbd since thats what its designed for. So i checked the oil and I was 2 qts low so I filled the rad and put in 2 its of oil. Stated up and ran fine for about 16 blocks then while slowing down it stalled and when I restarted it it was "clunking" for a lack of a better term (sounded like i ruined a rod bearing). Luckily I was able to park it and towed it back to my house.

Tow truck driver was super cool and we started chatting about it and he asked me to start it and it ran flawlessly. So I let it sit the night and decided to drive it around the block to see how it preformed, everything was fine UNTIL it got up to temp and it started stalling again and extremely rough restart.

I searched and searched and searched to figure out problems and I thought I narrowed it to the crankshaft positing sensor so I replaced it with the same symptoms after installation. Also while underneath I noticed a lot of oil.. not what I wanted to see, I knew there was a small leak but this was a notable about of oil.

Any ideas on what to look at next?

Only modification is that I put in the Bosch 4 port injectors, 31x10.50 tires and a 3.5" lift.

I have checked all the vacuum lines and nothing was incomplete (from what I could see) also when I open up the oil cap smoke comes out, I assume exhaust fumes which leads me to a stuck valve on the exhaust side. There is no milky substance in the oil to indicated a head gasket (which I wish it was honestly).

Anyone think I may have cracked the block? Where are common oil leak spots? From what I can tell it looks like its coming from the back side of the valve cover closest to the fire wall.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Year?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry:

1995 Cherokee SE Automatic 230K 4.0 I6
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Replace the valve cover gasket and see if the oil leak subsides. It most likely will. Don't expect it to be a 100% fix though.

Someone else mentioned this to me a couple months back... odds of the block being cracked are slim. Not impossible, but more likely a head gasket or cracked cylinder head itself. Especially if it overheated, it could have warped the head.

Take an oil sample and send it to blackstone. They'll tell you if it has coolant in the oil, or any other stuff for that matter.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

I have a few friends that have overheated their early 90's Cherokees just once and they all had warped heads after. Not sure if it's common or just coincidental.