Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default A couple of problems

Today I went mudding, i went into a puddle way too deep, i made it fine but like mid way through it seemed like the motor was lugging, and when i made it out, i put it in park because my buddy was coming through and i thought he might get stuck so i waited, when he was coming up making it through i put it back in Drive and when i started giving it gas, it died, and then i had to have him tow me out back to the road because it wasnt starting. i waited a good 20 minutes, i tried starting it a few times it didnt work then finally it started....my guess is that i might have put the tailipe into the water and maybe sucked some in?? Anyone have any thoughts on that....

Also

Whenever i first turn on my jeep for like well say in the morning, its cold its not warmed up, ill start driving and the brakes will be real touchy, like ill barely put pressure on the pedal and they will lock up and bring me to a screeching halt, and then once the jeep is warmed up i have to put alot of pressure.....and anyones thoughts on that?

One more thing..

I had a place put in some door speakers for me, and since then my power door locks dont work anymore...like its shorting out maybe? Any help would be great...thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If your Jeep shut off after going through water and you tried to restart it, then you may have caused some serious engine damage. NEVER try to restart a stalled engine after you go through water.

What you need to do is pull out all the plugs and crank it over about 10 times, which will shoot the water out of the cylinders. Replace all the plugs with new ones and it should run fine. Trust me I just had this had to me last night.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

you prolly got some water in the distributor. Next time remove the distributor and dry with some towels.
For the brakes don't buy the cheapest pads nex time, they tend to harden and become glassy.
Question: do you have ABS and if, does it work?
Check the wires in the tunnel between the door and the frame.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 AM
bt4

Year: 96
Engine: i6

as far as the brakes go, they are prob worn out, and as you use them more, they heat up, grabbing less, and therefore causing a soft pedal and longer stopping distances, pull the front tires and check how thick the pads are/ condition of rotors, and pull the rear tires and drums and check rear shoes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

im probably going to pull the fronts off today, as for the water..it runs fine now, no problems.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have the same problem with the rear brakes locking up and being extremely touchy after the initial startup. I haven't had a chance to pull the drums yet to see what's going on. I think it may be that since it's wet outside, the drums get wet on the inside and get surface rust overnight or while it's sitting for a while. The rust provides extra grip for the brake shoes and locks up. A stupid idea, but who knows. I'll pull my drum off this week when I have a chance and see what's wrong. My brake problem appeared a few days ago out of nowhere. Let me know if you find anything out about it. Thanks.