Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A couple newbie t-case questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A couple newbie t-case questions

Hello, I bought a very nice 92 Cherokee sport a few weeks ago, and I was told when buying it that it won't actually go into 4x4 due to a switch on the rear side of the transfer case. The transfer case is an np321 and I have outlined the suspected switch in green on a picture of an identical t-case. Would this part being faulty prevent the front wheels from receiving power? If no, then what would? I can put it into all ranges and it drives fine, but I can't seem to get the front wheels to receive power! Also lined in red is a gasket which seems to have a small leak, how difficult is it to replace this gasket and what is its exact name?

Thanks!A couple newbie t-case questions-gcxmh.png
Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

The green is the speedo, it doesn't influence 4 wd. The red shouldn't make it not work either but have you checked the fluid level? The tc is all linkages and gears so if you pull the lever than it should go where you put it unless the linkage from the handle is slipping or not attached. Have you put it into 4wd and tried to spin the rear tires?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wiggles
The green is the speedo, it doesn't influence 4 wd. The red shouldn't make it not work either but have you checked the fluid level? The tc is all linkages and gears so if you pull the lever than it should go where you put it unless the linkage from the handle is slipping or not attached. Have you put it into 4wd and tried to spin the rear tires?
I just tried, only rear tires spin, but it is shifting because it went into low gear. Does the front diff have a solenoid or a vacuum hose or anything to lock the front end in? also I just found three loose ***** from a bearing between the bell housing and inspection plate for the flywheel, but the clutch is working great with no noise. Ideas?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm not sure what year they discontinued "command track". That has a vacuum diaphragm on the right! front axle that disconnects the axle shaft in 2WD. (from here on called the "vac disco")

Look and see there on the back side of the front axle,on the right side, is there a deal with four bolts and a round thing and vacuum lines?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 07-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

early 92 still had the vacuum disconnect

if you have one of these on the right side of the front axle, that is the problem

the switch on the transfer case sends the vacuum to the diaphragm in this to engage the front axle.
the switch, the line or the shift motor itself could be bad
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by timberwolf
Sounds right, ^. Mine's not a problem, I don't mind having it working as designed. Here is a simple way to disable the disco, (still you select 4WD with the T-case shifter) Thanks to 89Laredo >
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/fr...ss-91-a-38629/

Last edited by DFlintstone; 07-17-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by timberwolf

if you have one of these on the right side of the front axle, that is the problem

the switch on the transfer case sends the vacuum to the diaphragm in this to engage the front axle.
the switch, the line or the shift motor itself could be bad
Mine is not like this, there is nothing in this place. would low fluid cause it to not power the front wheels? I'm not entirely sure how this transfer case works, so I may ask some very stupid sounding questions. when I looked at the differential I only saw one hose going upwards that appears to be a vent. this is a Cherokee sport, if that helps any.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I would say you have a broken t-case then. Something internal let loose.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 AM

just read in a similar thread that you must be moving slowly to shift to 4wd? I was stopped every time I shifted into or out of 4wd. going to bed now, I'll check back for replies in the morning before I go tinkering
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

Actually you don't have to be moving to engage 4WD. You should first confirm what's turning and what isn't. Inspect the t-case linkage too.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

If it is working correctly than where you put the lever is were its at in the tc. When you pull the lever is there some resistance but it still moves pretty easy?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by wiggles
If it is working correctly than where you put the lever is were its at in the tc. When you pull the lever is there some resistance but it still moves pretty easy?
right, it has a little bit of resistance, but it still goes right in. I'm about to go out and look everything over closely again, I'll post if I find anything new
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

You DID look to see there is a front drive line. (people do remove them), and do lights come on the dash when you select 4WD?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
You DID look to see there is a front drive line. (people do remove them), and do lights come on the dash when you select 4WD?
haha, yes, there is a front driveline. no lights come on the dash, where on the dash should it be? near the brake light or shift light?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

No good reason or explanation but the chain could've been removed (just something else to check). Remove the front DS and try to spin the front output yoke, it should have a bit of resistance from the chain. Or as the guy just above me said, make sure it has a front DS lol.

Quick Reply: A couple newbie t-case questions