Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Could power steering have been causing bucking/jerking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Could power steering have been causing bucking/jerking?

Drove the 92 home on Friday and noticed a grinding noise when I turned right. Didn't think too much of it, just took note and got 'er home. Didn't drive it again until this morning and the grinding was way worse and coming from both sides now. But like the doofus I am, I got on the freeway anyway. After a mile or so, it started to really buck, which has never happened before. I got off the next exit and carefully got it to a place I could take a look.

Noticed the PS fluid was empty and that it had clearly been spraying everywhere. Had someone turn the wheel while it was in park and sure enough found the leak. Hour and a half later, the new PS line was installed (and new air filter!). Got in a took it around the block, no grinding, no problem. So I figured it was OK to drive home.

On the freeway, no problem at all. But could that really have also been the issue with the bucking at freeway speeds? Both conveniently started on Friday afternoon, but I don't understand how the two are related.

Thoughts?