Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling System Overhaul Parts Checklist (Opinions Wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Cooling System Overhaul Parts Checklist (Opinions Wanted)

Hey all. Got a 99 with 185k. I've been nursing a leaking radiator for over a year now and I have no idea how old the rest of my cooling system is so I'm looking to do a complete overhaul. I'm putting together a checklist of everything but would like some opinions on a couple things.

Right now I got:

-Thermostat: MOPAR 52028186AC
-Coolant Temperature Sensor: MOPAR 56027873 (it's been acting up)
-Upper Radiator Hose: DAYCO 71763
-Lower Radiator Hose: DAYCO 71321 (I plan on reusing the original spring)
-Heater Inlet Hose: DAYCO 88429
-Heater Outlet Hose: DAYCO 87792
-Water Pump Inlet Tube: DORMAN 56398
-Thermostat Housing Gasket: FEL-PRO 35630
-Water Pump Gasket: FEL-PRO 35629
-Fan Clutch: Not replacing because it's relatively new

What I'm unsure of:

-Water pump: GATES 42004 or FlowKooler? I 95% talked myself out of the FlowKooler because I know it's not necessary but it comes with a sweet decal...
Thermostat Housing: GATES CO34741. Should I grind the housing down a bit to match the shape of the high flow units?
Radiator Right now I'm leaning towards all aluminum. I've been reading a bunch about the CSF and Champions. I've heard good and bad about both, especially fitment issues on the Champions. I also read a thread about the FF Dynamics which are similar to the Champions but apparently higher quality and have a lifetime warranty. Only thing is I've found almost no information about them. I want to give them a try but I'm skeptical. Can anybody chime in on radiator selection? I'm not dead set on all aluminum but I would like to stay away from plastic. Here's a link to what I'm looking at: http://ffdynamics.com/products/jeep-...minum-radiator

Before tackling this overhaul I plan on flushing the system a couple times with water then with a chemical flusher. After the new parts are in place I will fill the system with 50/50 HOAT coolant and distilled water.

Also, to put this in perspective I live in New Hampshire where the hottest temps we get are around 100 degrees in the summer. My A/C hasn't worked for years and I don't plan on fixing it. I've never had over heating issues but have occasionally seen the gauge start to creep up a bit while crawling on those hot summer days.

Questions, comments, concerns, advice? Did I miss anything?

edit: I just realized OEM tech may have been the wrong place for this because my questions are mostly about modifying stuff and aftermarket parts. Sorry!

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 02-09-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder

You don't mention the miles?
If it doesn't overheat, why the trick water pump and radiator?

The list looks good to me. Far as the radiator, no clue as to those mentioned.
Replaced my leaky radiator, thermostat housing, gaskets and water pump with OEM Mopar parts and had no issues so far.

Without AC, all the better.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
-Water pump: GATES 42004 or FlowKooler? I 95% talked myself out of the FlowKooler because I know it's not necessary but it comes with a sweet decal...
Waste of money.

GATES CO34741. Should I grind the housing down a bit to match the shape of the high flow units?
Why? Stock systems cool just fine.

I'm not dead set on all aluminum but I would like to stay away from plastic.
Agreed! I have no clue about the quality of that particular brand, but an extra $100 for an all-aluminum seems pretty good to me. OTOH, lots of folks on this forum have had excellent results with the lifetime warranteed unit from Advance Auto. Or was it Autozone?

After the new parts are in place I will fill the system with 50/50 HOAT coolant and distilled water.
Why do that to yourself? Stick with the standard green stuff. It works just fine. Buy the pre-mixed and don't worry about it.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 02-09-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Waste of money.
Thanks, I needed that lol

Why? Stock systems cool just fine.
I guess it was more of a why not. I'm not going to since I'm not going with the FlowKooler pump. I would've if I had.

Agreed! I have no clue about the quality of that particular brand, but an extra $100 for an all-aluminum seems pretty good to me. OTOH, lots of folks on this forum have had excellent results with the lifetime warranteed unit from Advance Auto. Or was it Autozone?
I'm wry of this company. Almost no online presence, no phone number to call. I just read of a case where they did not respond to a warranty claim in 2014. I just sent them a rather lengthy email asking about their company and addressing my concerns. It's a shame that nobody has stepped up and started cranking these radiators out with good quality, fitment, and customer service.

Why do that to yourself? Stick with the standard green stuff. It works just fine. Buy the pre-mixed and don't worry about it.
I'm under the impression that the HOAT and distilled is the correct thing to do because its called out in the FSM. Once all these new parts are in I want to fill them with the correct stuff.

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 02-09-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by moparado
You don't mention the miles?
If it doesn't overheat, why the trick water pump and radiator?

The list looks good to me. Far as the radiator, no clue as to those mentioned.
Replaced my leaky radiator, thermostat housing, gaskets and water pump with OEM Mopar parts and had no issues so far.

Without AC, all the better.
About 185k on the clock, should've mentioned that.

Why not do some upgrades while I'm at it? If it's already apart might as well make it better.

I would totally buy OEM Mopar parts but the factory parts can be so expensive. I'd like to not do an OEM radiator because of the plastic tanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Man its hard to find current info on radiators. Everything I've been reading has been like five years old.

I've been looking at the 2 row Champion radiators. Several old threads I read said they had fitment issues but according to current reviews on amazon it sounds like they've sorted them out. Unless FF Dynamics miraculously comes around I think I'm going to invest in this radiator: http://www.championradiators.com/Jee...-row-1991-2001
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would honestly just go oem from autozone. Lots of us have had great success with it.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would totally buy OEM Mopar parts but the factory parts can be so expensive. I'd like to not do an OEM radiator because of the plastic tanks.
I've got 251K on my OEM plastic tank radiator and it doesn't leak a drop....knock on wood. I'll be replacing it before summer though because I know I'm on borrowed time.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gw204
I've got 251K on my OEM plastic tank radiator and it doesn't leak a drop....knock on wood.
That is impressive!

Originally Posted by gw204
I'll be replacing it before summer though because I know I'm on borrowed time.

And that is wise!

Y'know, if we worked out the math on this, I think we'd find it's a very good, economical solution. A cheap radiator, replaced every quarter million miles before you have problems...

I suspect the high-end expensive radiators can't be depended on any longer than that.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I would honestly just go oem from autozone. Lots of us have had great success with it.

Yes they have an in store lifetime warranty and under a $100 for the radiator have used 2 of them 1 on my 99 and my son's 98.

That is impressive!

And that is wise!

Y'know, if we worked out the math on this, I think we'd find it's a very good, economical solution. A cheap radiator, replaced every quarter million miles before you have problems...

I suspect the high-end expensive radiators can't be depended on any longer than that.

Ain't that the truth!!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Ah shoot, you guys got me all torn up now.

Just read (skimmed) through this article. Very informative, worth the read. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/

Maybe I'll just got OEM. Cheaper, easier, I know it fits.

Anybody have any info on the towing package radiators? I googled it a bit but didn't find any solid information. Probably not worth digging through threads for hours and struggling to find one.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

I doubt you need a bigger radiator for towing. What you really need is an external transmission cooler.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I usually get my parts from Napa. Only did one jeep so far but about to do another also with Napa. I have done many small block chevy's with Napa parts and a bunch of other random vehicles I've owned.
Only problems I had were that they first gave me a water pump for a zj by accident. And the gasket that comes with thier thermostat housing is wrong so I got the gasket they sell separate and it's good.
Also I know a guy that sells radiators that are made in Canada. They're like $110 dollars but worth it. Of coarse the Chinese radiators will usually do the job just fine as well.
Stick with basic cheaper stuff unless your going to be putting it through some severe use.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

So I've come around and decided to go OEM on the radiator, as well as everything else. Money is better spent elsewhere. Thanks for talking some sense into me everyone.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I've come around and decided to go OEM on the radiator, as well as everything else. Money is better spent elsewhere. Thanks for talking some sense into me everyone.
Good choice!