Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling down my 91 xj

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91
Model: Cherokee
Default Cooling down my 91 xj

Hello...

So today and yesterday in Indy, it got hot. only 87 or so, but stupid humid. And I noticed the xj, like before in drive throughs, was running on the hot side, just a smidge under the red area on the temp gauge, except for when I was moving at 40+ mph.

I had in mind a few things I need to do:

1. The radiator on it is stock and is leaking, so I'm going to replace it. I did some researching and found a great deal on a 2row CFS Radiator. A stock replacement one from Autozone is like 110 and the CFS is only 163 including shipping. Has anyone had much experience with CFS Radiators? I only came up with one guy claiming his CFS from Radiator Barn (where I plan on getting mine) didn't fit? Any comments? Also, I won't have to modify anything to make it fit will I?

2. Along with the upgraded radiator I plan on getting a hi flow water pump. Anyone know of a good source for them? I've only came up with one from autozone for 70 bucks or so.

3. I heard that a 180 tstat is better? What if I don't have an efan? Still better? If not I'll just get the stock replacement. Please someone help me on that one.

So, thats what I KNOW I"m going to do. Something else that crossed my mind was hood vents. I know when I just got home I popped open my hood and damn near burnt my face. Even my little stick that holds the hood up was burning to the touch. So, if I made hood vents, would I need to get rid of the insulation in there? Would that damage the hood at all, like the paintjob or anything from getting too hot?

Thanks for any help

-Diesel
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well I am in the same boat as you are....as far as the leaking rad goes. I have done many many hours of research on here and many other jeep forums....I have come down to buying one from radiatorbarn.com. Everyone is happy with them. And they are really great for our jeeps. I think I am getting the 3 row all metal one though. Its like 200 shipped. The water pump is up to you....the autozone one is probably fine. I just put one (but stock not high flow) on my xj and I believe it was from autozone. The thermostat just get the stock 195 thermostat from Jeep. I did. It was like 10 bucks or so. The 180 is only opening a tad sooner and letting the coolant in. really doesnt make a difference. If you are getting the high flow water pump and a new rad then the 195 tstat would be fine Im sure. And taking out the insulation wont hurt a thing. I have read many people have taken it out. Its more for sound proofing anyways. Thats wat I read on here. I think I will take mine off soon. I am too thinking of hood vents or a cowl hood of some sort. But still thinking....hope I helped.