Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant leak. Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coolant leak. Any ideas???

Just bought a 99 xj yesterday. I noticed this morning there were a couple of drops of coolant on the garage floor. I got up under the Jeep with my flashlight and pinpointed the leak seems to be coming in between the oil pan and the transmission. It seems like a weird place for coolant to be leaking? Maybe it's coming from above? Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

"Rent" a pressure tester from autozone or another store and pressure test the system.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Could be coming one of the heater core lines. ...but do what rgr said
Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fletcher34
JIt seems like a weird place for coolant to be leaking? Maybe it's coming from above?
Yep. Coming from somewhere else. Oil does that, and has everybody screaming, "Rear main seal!"

It's the lowest point on the engine, so fluids wind up there.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yep. Coming from somewhere else. Oil does that, and has everybody screaming, "Rear main seal!"

It's the lowest point on the engine, so fluids wind up there.
It's not oil. It's Coolant.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

It's not oil. It's Coolant.
He was referring to engine fluids in general, also due to the tilt of engine and blowback while driving.
Coolant leaking from bell housing is usually a leaking welch/freeze plug that is located on rear of engine block. This leak is often more pronounced when jeep sits for two days. When driven every day, the leaking coolant evaporates or gets flung out.

Transmission needs to be dropped to access freeze plug.
To diagnose, should be able to view enough of plug by removing inspection plates and starter, use a good light and a small mirror.
Here is a picture for reference with transmission removed, coolant is behind the middle plug.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SteveMongr; 10-26-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Beach Bum

Of course check the heater hoses, coolant hoses first.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
He was referring to engine fluids in general, also due to the tilt of engine and blowback while driving.
Coolant leaking from bell housing is usually a leaking welch/freeze plug that is located on rear of engine block. This leak is often more pronounced when jeep sits for two days. When driven every day, the leaking coolant evaporates or gets flung out.

Transmission needs to be dropped to access freeze plug.
To diagnose, should be able to view enough of plug by removing inspection plates and starter, use a good light and a small mirror.
Here is a picture for reference with transmission removed, coolant is behind the middle plug.
Ok so if it happens to be the freeze plug, how much are we talking to drop the tranny and fix? Is it something I have to do? Can I just keep an eye on the coolant level and go from there? Seems like paying to have the tranny dropped to fix a rubber/plastic plug is a lot if I can keep from having to do it. But at the same time, if it's a major issue, I'll take care of it.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Its not rubber or plastic it is brass and it may just keep getting worse or get bigger all at once if corrosion is really bad.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Year: 1997

whatever you do, please don't use "stop leak" or any of that junk that you poor in the radiator. Unless of course you want to also replace your radiator, heater core, water pump, etc in about a year.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dcollins3208
whatever you do, please don't use "stop leak" or any of that junk that you poor in the radiator. Unless of course you want to also replace your radiator, heater core, water pump, etc in about a year.
Yeah I know not to use that stuff. Just not wanting to spend a grand on dropping tranny if I can just add coolant every now and then.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Beach Bum

First, inspect engine bay hoses with good light. Coolant leak will usually leave a residue. Any splits in hoses may be noticed better if you squeeze them down the length.
If coolant drips from oil pan fill plug, leak is likely in engine bay. If it drips out of bottom of bell housing, then suspect freeze plug..
Old 10-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
First, inspect engine bay hoses with good light. Coolant leak will usually leave a residue. Any splits in hoses may be noticed better if you squeeze them down the length.
If coolant drips from oil pan fill plug, leak is likely in engine bay. If it drips out of bottom of bell housing, then suspect freeze plug..
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM

This is best pic I can get.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Beach Bum

Hmmm, looks like rear freeze plug, the way it has a direct trail. It's fresh, if the leak is in hoses it would be obvious.
Problem with continuing to run jeep is the potential for complete failure of plug. Plug is around 2" diameter.. Replace with brass.

I did mine myself, home garage, took two full days. But now having done it I could do it again in one. Will need a transmission jack and E-12 socket.
Maybe read up on the process and watch you-tube video of it. Then decide if it is something you wish to tackle.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak. Any ideas???