Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Control arm question

Morning folks!
Hope this post finds you well and good spirits.
In the coming months I'm going to be replacing all the bushings in my front end (D30). Anyways, I was wondering what control arms to get. ( rather than fight the bushings )
At some point (and it could be a while) I'm wanting to lift her 3".
I was wondering also about the ZJ control arms also. Any modifications needed to be done? Would that be the better route? Can I use both upper and lower? I've looked into adjustable arms but, I come from a world where money is an object and they are a little pricey. One thing I do know foe certain though: I don't want to take my baby back to stock.
I'm at work ATM so forgive my delayed responses.

Thank you and have a good day.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

If you are stock, they need to be stock replacements, or get a kit with new LCA's. I believe the WJ arms are about 1.5" longer which is why they work for a 3" lift. The upper bushings are in the housing, not the arms. You'll have to press those in.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
If you are stock, they need to be stock replacements, or get a kit with new LCA's. I believe the WJ arms are about 1.5" longer which is why they work for a 3" lift. The upper bushings are in the housing, not the arms. You'll have to press those in.
WJ arms are the same length as the XJ arms, only the sleeves in the bushings are wider by 6mm, and ZJ arms are the exact same as XJ arms. You can use WJ arms if you trim the bushing sleeves down or bend the brackets out. If you just want to use stock arms, go with Moog, Raybestos, or Doorman from www.rockauto.com . Do NOT buy the crap from fleaBay! I did and had to replace them less than a year later because the bushings were shot. I just installed WJ upper arms in my ZJ and the handling feels way better than it did with the stock flimsy pieces of crap.
Remember to leave the control arm bolts loose until you have the full weight of the vehicle on the wheels. Tightening the bolts with the axle hanging will destroy the bushings very quickly.

Last edited by Bustedback; 09-27-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Finally got a break.......woo whoo!
So from what I gather there really isn't many options outside of stock......right? I thought the ZJ arms was somewhat of a "junkyard upgrade" over stock. But, I suppose I misunderstood stood that.
I recall a while back someone saying something about wrangler arms too......anyone care to elaborate on that for me?
Thank you folks.