Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Con Rod Bearings 4.0 liter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Con Rod Bearings 4.0 liter

My company '98 Cherokee had a dull "thunk" towards the rear, and down low. Fearing the worst, I pulled the pan, and could actually move #5 rod up abd down a visible amount!
Is it normal for Jeeps to have upper half Conrod bearings .001 and lower halfs std?.
The con rod journals on the crank are all rough to where a finger nail drags across--not smooth.
I suppose its either time to R&R the engine, or junk the Jeep. I really hate to junk it, as it has a new front half of the exhaust and new A/C compressor and condensor. Besides it shifts great, nice and firm. Add to that, my current company vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2wd, and my work continually puts me off road. ( One of the things I do is lay out test boring s for driller doing subsurface explorations, I also have to log the holes and identify the samples--so I am often offroad. My Chevy is 2WD, well really 1 WD since one slipping wheel stops me--wet grass can stop it!)

Does anyone know how thick the std and .001 con rod bearing shells are when they are manufactured? I want to see how thin these are.

Bummed!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally when a engine is run low on oil...the rear Rod bearings suffer..take both halfs and Mic them...but it sounds like at the very least the crank should be turned to .10 thousands.

If you decided to "junk" it i am local and would like to have it.....PLEASE let me know!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

even on a frest tight motor if you look real close you will be able to see the rod move up and down on the crank...once the engine starts it fills with oil and lifts the rods off the cranks. Dry starts do the most damage to a engine because the first second or two....untill O/P comes up the crank is rideing on the bearings..and over time the bearings wear down and the tolreances increase and Oil Pressure goes down......