Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Computer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Computer Issue

1999 Jeep Cherokee special edition (TSI) or (PSI) cuts off while car is on. Anyone know why??
Old 03-25-2019, 03:28 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

I would guess that you have a short in wiring. First look at the battery cables from the positive for he start and from the negative to the block, then follow your other major grounds: negative to body, block to firewall, and power distribution center to body.
You're looking for frayed coatings or touching bare metal to bare metal - or just close and it moves and touches when driving. I'd for sure check around the distributor and the coil as well as the alternator.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 603 Likes on 513 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JasmineCherokee121
1999 Jeep Cherokee special edition (TSI) or (PSI) cuts off while car is on. Anyone know why??
you really need to provide more detail such as the circumstances of how it "cuts out"...how long before you can restart, do you need the key, how regular/intermittent is the problem etc etc

It could be quite a few things
Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by gat
I would guess that you have a short in wiring. First look at the battery cables from the positive for he start and from the negative to the block, then follow your other major grounds: negative to body, block to firewall, and power distribution center to body.
You're looking for frayed coatings or touching bare metal to bare metal - or just close and it moves and touches when driving. I'd for sure check around the distributor and the coil as well as the alternator.
thanks for this, I think those are great starting points
Old 03-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by awg
you really need to provide more detail such as the circumstances of how it "cuts out"...how long before you can restart, do you need the key, how regular/intermittent is the problem etc etc

It could be quite a few things

noted, I’m not as savvy but usually when operating the vehicle after about 30-45min of consistent running the car will cut off
Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

What is (TSI) or (PSI)?

The chances of this being a computer problem or an electrical short are small. A short circuit involved with primary or secondary ignition is much more likely to blow a fuse, making the problem permanent, and not intermittent. If the short was transient enough to avoid blowing fuses, the vehicle would more likely stumble momentarily, but probably not shut off.

More likely candidates for vehicles that shut off while driving would be failing ignition coil, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft pickup (sensor), fuel pump, or ignition switch. To name a few.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
What is (TSI) or (PSI)?

The chances of this being a computer problem or an electrical short are small. A short circuit involved with primary or secondary ignition is much more likely to blow a fuse, making the problem permanent, and not intermittent. If the short was transient enough to avoid blowing fuses, the vehicle would more likely stumble momentarily, but probably not shut off.

More likely candidates for vehicles that shut off while driving would be failing ignition coil, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft pickup (sensor), fuel pump, or ignition switch. To name a few.

this makes sense. Thank you! The more I’m finding out
Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 603 Likes on 513 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

noted, I’m not as savvy but usually when operating the vehicle after about 30-45min of consistent running the car will cut off
the most common cause of this issue, as diagnosed via forum, without further info or diagnostics are;

1) failing crankshaft position sensor
2) failing camshaft position sensor

Most advise to replace the Crankshaft Sensor with a genuine Mopar part
Old 03-27-2019, 05:26 PM

I did have someone make that suggestion. Definitely looking into that.