Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Cold starting

I have a 2.5CRD which starts on the button every day, until there's a frost, then I have to resort to Easystart. I have changed all the gloplugs and heater plug modules, crankshaft sensor as well, any ideas please
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mipar28
I have a 2.5CRD which starts on the button every day, until there's a frost, then I have to resort to Easystart. I have changed all the gloplugs and heater plug modules, crankshaft sensor as well, any ideas please
How many miles does it have on the engine? Would I be guessing right if I think easy start is starting fluid?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Hi, It's done 90,000 miles, we've had 11 yrs and it's only started to misbehave in the last 12 months, yes easystart is a starter fluid..
Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Hi, It's done 90,000 miles, we've had 11 yrs and it's only started to misbehave in the last 12 months, yes easystart is a starter fluid..
I'm not familiar with this particular engine but in general a couple thoughts here based on what a diesel requires to start and run. Air... fuel... and compression.

Starting with Air... When was the last time the air filter has been replaced? This is a huge issue that can even affect how other systems function. Does it have a turbo? If so turbocharged engines do require a little help from the turbo to start up because of the compression ratio being lower than naturally aspirated engines. So if it is not spinning freely for some reason like the oil being too thick when cold, or dragging on the housing, it could cause starting issues. Especially when cold.

Fuel... You do realize that Starting fluid is the worst thing you could add to this because it does have glowplugs right? It can burn out glowplugs in a heart beat, even new ones. (They should all follow the Cummins example of using an intake preheater system instead).

Now I'm not sure if this system utilizes this feature or not, but some makes and models are designed with a cold start requirement of giving it just slight throttle when starting it. But it is absolutely imperative that you immediately let off as soon as it cracks and fires and allowed to build oil pressure.

Compression... It doesn't sound like this would be a problem with the few miles it has on it unless for some reason something else might have caused a lack of compression like if it may have gotten quite overheated at some point in the recent past?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM

It has had a new air filter, (always serviced annually) it doesn't have a turbo, it's a 2.5 litre straight 4 diesel, I wasn't aware that starter fluid could burn out the glowplugs, I may change them, again, and see if that helps. I'm reluctant to get rid of it, because for 11 years that we've had it, it's been a brilliant vehicle, just want to get to the bottom of this frustrating problem.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

It has had a new air filter, (always serviced annually) it doesn't have a turbo, it's a 2.5 litre straight 4 diesel, I wasn't aware that starter fluid could burn out the glowplugs, I may change them, again, and see if that helps. I'm reluctant to get rid of it, because for 11 years that we've had it, it's been a brilliant vehicle, just want to get to the bottom of this frustrating problem.
You should be able to test those glow plugs to see if they are still good, or if your system is even applying juice to them before replacing. I would definitely try the slight throttle trick, it adds more air and fuel to increase the combustion temperatures in the chambers.

But if you don't have a book on that get one.

I am a Diesel freak and would dump a ton of money in one before I ever got rid of it! They always pay for themselves no matter what you do! lol
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM

We haven't been able to get a manual for it, it's called a Jeep liberty in the US I believe, but I'm not sure they do the diesel version over there. We love it, and I don't mind spending the money to fix it, I just need to know where to look.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

We haven't been able to get a manual for it, it's called a Jeep liberty in the US I believe, but I'm not sure they do the diesel version over there. We love it, and I don't mind spending the money to fix it, I just need to know where to look.
What year is it?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Old 11-13-2017, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Cool. Give me a bit to locate you a proper one that covers the 03 European diesel model. There are tons of downloads online if you do a search for 03 Liberty instead of Cherokee, just have to dig to find one that also covers the diesel version. I'm going to guess yours is called a Cherokee even though it is actually a Liberty right?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Indeed it is, over here it's called a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD, I would really appreciate a link for a manual, we've searched quite extensively, but can't seem to find a diesel version.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

OK this is what your search parameters should be.

It would be considered an 03 KJ...

"2003 Jeep Liberty KJ (Also called Jeep Cherokee outside of North America) 2.5L 4 cyl Diesel"

Here's the first I found for it, but there are many more if you enter those parameters.

https://sellfy.com/p/xCNh/
Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry... A couple more important questions and after thoughts. Are you running Bio blend fuel? And have you tried cycling the glowplug timer with the key several times before actually turning it over to start, so that there are several heating sequences to preheat it more first?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM

I tried the preheat trick a few times, we don’t run biofuels. It’s so frustrating when it’s been so good for so long. It must be something simple, so I’d love to cure it, we would be quite happy to keep it for may more years then.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

I tried the preheat trick a few times, we don’t run biofuels. It’s so frustrating when it’s been so good for so long. It must be something simple, so I’d love to cure it, we would be quite happy to keep it for may more years then.
Give me a day or two and let me dig in some outside sources and see if I can find something that hits home for your issue. Just make your mind up you ARE going to keep it so that there is now no option but to find the cure. lol

Quick Reply: Cold starting