Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold Air intake on Trail

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air intake on Trail

Hey guys so i went to the Trail the past 3 days and yesterday i opened my hood and my cold air filter was a bit wet and really dirty. I did Cross a river that went up to my tires, and went through alot of WET mud. So i was wondering if they have some short of cover that could protect it for when i hit the trails...?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by morroneplay
Hey guys so i went to the Trail the past 3 days and yesterday i opened my hood and my cold air filter was a bit wet and really dirty. I did Cross a river that went up to my tires, and went through alot of WET mud. So i was wondering if they have some short of cover that could protect it for when i hit the trails...?

Thanks
Some people use half of their stock airbox to protect the filter while wheeling, other then that I am out of ideas.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
Some people use half of their stock airbox to protect the filter while wheeling, other then that I am out of ideas.
Yeaa i was looking online and i could not find anything. I knew i should of kept my stock air box. Well last time i just warped a towel around it and made sure it was still breathable so it would no bog out and that working out alright. WHat do you think about that...?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeaa i was looking online and i could not find anything. I knew i should of kept my stock air box. Well last time i just warped a towel around it and made sure it was still breathable so it would no bog out and that working out alright. WHat do you think about that...?
If it were me I would go grab another stock airbox and fab something up, I'm not liking the rag idea all that much.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

I use a K&N pre-filter cover. Some folks use old pantyhose...
Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Uni-Filter makes a cover also, they do alot for ATV's and Dirt Bikes but they make some for Off-Road rigs also..
Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech Inline-6 High Output

Here is my set up, Rusty's air tube with AEM DryFlow filter

Chances are that this is where the water/mud splashed on the filter from (holes where the air box use to be)

Covered with some sheet metal

used the extra to make this

to hold the bottom this into place

got this idea from go-jeep
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeShield.htm

works very well as a splash guard, I also have a under hood temp gauge (you can see the sensor,black thing, in the first pic right by the clamp right) by the filter and it stays a lot cooler than the factory air box did.

Last edited by 97XJ Jeeper; 04-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey thanks guys, i mite actually look into that splash guard. Thankss!!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

With all that surrounding your filter it is as restricted as it was in the original airbox. Waste of time and materials IMHO. Splash guard or just close the factory holes with some bolts and nuts. Again just MHO.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Just a question, but why do you think my set up is just as restrictive as a factory air box? There are still a lot of open area to pull air from, I have the area right behind the headlight open also. Just want to hear your reasoning, maybe make it better with your ideas.

Last edited by 97XJ Jeeper; 04-27-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by 97XJ Jeeper
Just a question, but why do you think my set up is just as restrictive as a factory air box? There are still a lot of open area to pull air from, I have the area right behind the headlight open also. Just want to hear your reasoning, maybe make it better with your ideas.
The makeshift box you built is as large and cumbersome as the factory's messed up airbox. It needs to have the filter out in the open so that it can draw air from all the way around the cylindrical filter. A splash guard will keep mud and water from being splashed up by the left front tire. The easy way out is to just plug the factory holes. If further guarding is required then a 90 degree piece of sheet metal that bolts to those factory holes and the other leg of that guard being between the intake/exhaust manifolds and the filter.
That's the way I did mine and never even needed the splashguard. I have the K&N CAI. Works great.
Between those two improvements to the Rusty's air tube you should be able to keep your filter dry and mud free except deep water crossings. In that situation nothing is going to work except a snorkle.
Hope this helps clarify my thoughts on your air intake situation.
BlueXJ

Last edited by BlueXJ; 04-27-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 AM

I have been wanting to make one out of some sheet metal so that it could be open on top. Just need to find the time to do it.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks
Why not just use the stock box? This is just my opinion but, I dont think the 1/2 a horse gained is worth a soaked filter. Put a snorkle on it, then you'll have fresh air and a submersable jeep.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by 97XJ Jeeper
I have been wanting to make one out of some sheet metal so that it could be open on top. Just need to find the time to do it.
You had an excellent start when you covered the factory holes and started the upright piece along the seam of the inner fender well. Just extend that up about 6-8 inches and you will have it. You may need a little thicker sheet metal but you were on the right track. My buddy made his from a section of an old rusty Nova hood. His isn't pretty but it works well. When we cross shallow streams or deep puddles his nor mine get wet or flood out.
Avoid hydro lock at all costs.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BonesJackson
Why not just use the stock box? This is just my opinion but, I dont think the 1/2 a horse gained is worth a soaked filter. Put a snorkle on it, then you'll have fresh air and a submersable jeep.
Well this is also my Daily Driver and im a kinda guy who races about 60% of the time and the other 40% off road, so for my jeep i had bought a kit that comes with the cold air and a Jet performance chip in a bundle and it worked GREAT! so yea a cold air alone is nothing BUT when you actully tune your eingine for it you can get get performance out of it. I am prob pushing around 280 with 93Oct since i beat an 04 Mustang last week so thats just my Guesstamit.

But Yea i kinda regret getting it b/c when im on the trail i always worry about water getting into my engine.

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake on Trail