Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold Air coming form Passenger Side dash at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cold Air coming form Passenger Side dash at highway speeds

I'm stumped on this one. If I only have the blower motor on the low setting I get a constant flow of cold air coming from the under the dash on the passenger side. It just started the other day when I was driving down the highway. If I turn the blower up to a higher setting it seems to go away, and I don't notice it at highway speeds. What in the heck would be causing this?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I think the outside air coming in is normal. Do your settings have a 'max air' position? If so, you can use that setting and it closes off the outside air vent. Also, i've read other posts about a seal for the blower? on the firewall deteriorating and letting outside air in.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kjc
I think the outside air coming in is normal. Do your settings have a 'max air' position? If so, you can use that setting and it closes off the outside air vent. Also, i've read other posts about a seal for the blower? on the firewall deteriorating and letting outside air in.
A little bit of cold air is normal if the heat is not on. This is not normal its blowing in cold air really hard and fast, and it just started happening. I don't want to have the blower on full blast, I like to keep it on the low setting once the car is warmed up otherwise it gets too hot. I did have the blower replaced over the summer, perhaps they didn't use a new seal. Works under warranty so maybe I can just take it back to my mechanic and have him look at it.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Year: 96

Same thing happens to mine ..I get cold air coming in..but from the dash window defrost..like it's always on..and in summer time its no fun ..hot *** air while I drive.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by Burgy
I'm stumped on this one. If I only have the blower motor on the low setting I get a constant flow of cold air coming from the under the dash on the passenger side. It just started the other day when I was driving down the highway. If I turn the blower up to a higher setting it seems to go away, and I don't notice it at highway speeds. What in the heck would be causing this?
Do you hear a sucking sound?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Zacks98
Do you hear a sucking sound?
no sucking sound, and I think it might only be happening when the defrost is on. If I run it with the heat just on the floor I think the problem goes away, but that still doesn't explain the issue.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

no sucking sound, and I think it might only be happening when the defrost is on. If I run it with the heat just on the floor I think the problem goes away, but that still doesn't explain the issue.
Oh okay because mine has a sucking/blowing sound when i can feel it and im pretty sure its a vacuum leak..but it sound like our problems arent related. :/
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Blower motor went out the other morning (which I just had replaced in July). Took it into my mechanic and told him about the cold air issue and an A/C issue that arose last fall. Turns out that the vent door was getting hung up on part of the blower internally and was causing all of my problems. He fixed it all for free!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Update...The door is stuck again....FML..... Does anybody know how to un-stuck it? I really don't want to go with out my Jeep this week...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

anyone have any advice on this? just noticed mine leaking air in the same spot. I have yet to inspect inside the cowl, but it sounds like this same vent door not closing.

ideas?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

took off the cowl cover thinking id be able to see something to help but I was totally mistaken in thinking that might lead me somewhere.

so where should i be looking for this? cold air pours in the passenger side floor and my fiance is getting cold...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Well, turning the setting to heat MAY help...

In all seriousness, though, you need to rip apart the dash to get at it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
Well, turning the setting to heat MAY help...

In all seriousness, though, you need to rip apart the dash to get at it.
Yep :/ but at least most of the dash comes off in like 5 minutes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Update...The door is stuck again....FML..... Does anybody know how to un-stuck it? I really don't want to go with out my Jeep this week...
There seems to be miscommunication concerning the HVAC door nomanclature. For instance; the statement: "the vent door was getting hung up on part of the blower internally" is wrong. There is no "Vent Door". The vent selection on your AC/Heater control panel (crash dummy with arrow pointing at its head) is the vent selection, and the selection with the dummy with arrow pointing at its feet, is a function of the Floor/Panel Door. Both the dummy head and feet selections are Heat selections. When the Temperture Selector is in the Blue (cold) range the Blend Door actuator will move the blend door to direct outside air to either the dummy's head or feet. With the Temp selector in the Red (heat) range, it will direct hot air to the dummy's face or feet.

The only HVAC door that's even close to the HVAC Blower is the Recirculating Air Door. It is controlled by the AC/Heater control panel mode selector. With the mode selector **** pointing at the car with a roundabout arrow inside of it (Max A/C - Recirculation), the Recirculating Air Door will close off outside air and open the HVAC air inlet to the cabin and will turn on the AC. Cool air will enter the cabin through the panel vents with this setting.

To see if the Recirculating Air Door is getting "hung up" on the the Blower, you can remove the kick panel from the HVAC (like you are going to change the blower resistor block) and look at the Recirculating Air Door and its actuator. Start the vehicle, select Max A/C-Recirculation on and off, and watch the door move open and close. See if it hangs up on anything.

If the door and its actuator is working properly and the blower seems to be operating properly, try moving the AC/Heat mode selector to dummy head then feet, with the temp selector in the blue range, then to the Red range. See if the air flow changes from the panel outlets to the floor outlets. If not, the Panel/Floor door or its actuator may be defective, or the AC/Heat control panel mode selector may be defective. If, when changing the temp selector from blue to red does not change the temp of the air coming in, the Blend-Air Door may be at fault.

The AC/Heat control panel is an aftermarket item or a junkyard item. The Panel/Floor door or actuator requires removal of the HVAC unit to replace them. The Recirculating Air Door actuator can be replaced insitu.

Check these items out and tell us what you find.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

😳 Whooha damn get bored at work? Lol

Quick Reply: Cold Air coming form Passenger Side dash at highway speeds