Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cocked steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default cocked steering wheel

i was wondering what yall thought, my girlfriend was driving the jeep this weekend...i know BAD idea, but any way she hit a curb going like 20 on a u turn and the steering wheel is now upside down from where it use to be. i looked at the linkages and joints all seem ok and drag link is in same position where i left it when i adjusted it last time. but the pitman arm is not aligned straight when wheels are straight. obviously clock to clock is off to. im thinking about just poping the pitman arm off and readjusting to get my wheel straight, but could there be any thing else that would cause this? anything in the column? its a tilt. oh and its an 86 XJ. thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Your draglink is bent, possibly your tierod as well.

Center the steering wheel again and get a tape out and check your toe.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

take it down a smooth road see if it tracks. let your hand hoover the steering wheel and if it pulls any other way but strait you need an alignment. if not just adjust your alignment sleeve near the pitman arm to get your wheel strait. i would still get an alignment tho... i know firestone offers lifetime alignments for like $130
Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM

im in-between classes right now, but earlier i tried just adjusting it with the adjuster on the drag and couldnt adjust it enough, thinking its bent as well. gonna take it to firestone later see what they say. i remember reading something about using a better set up, but i cant remember if it was using the mj or zj steering. do yall know? since/if it is bent id rather convert to a better set up than whats on there now. can i use the linkages off the other without swaping knuckles or should i wait till i can do knuckles and linkages together? was kinda looking for doing it in steps since the knuckles are gonna take alot of time.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by pioneer
im in-between classes right now, but earlier i tried just adjusting it with the adjuster on the drag and couldnt adjust it enough, thinking its bent as well. gonna take it to firestone later see what they say. i remember reading something about using a better set up, but i cant remember if it was using the mj or zj steering. do yall know? since/if it is bent id rather convert to a better set up than whats on there now. can i use the linkages off the other without swaping knuckles or should i wait till i can do knuckles and linkages together? was kinda looking for doing it in steps since the knuckles are gonna take alot of time.
yes its the V8 ZJ steering
Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

cool thanks, do you know if i have to use the zj knuckles at the time of conversion or can i wait?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Honorary Moderator

its a direct bolt in. the zj knuckles are not needed