Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clutch / trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default clutch / trans issue

hello; This is my first time on this site, i came across it while doing some searching.. I have a 98 Cherokee with a 4.0, 5 speed and am having clutch issues. for awhile, it has been going into gear a little harder and had replaced the slave cylinder about a year ago. I just installed a RAM clutch kit and could not get the clutch to work.The pedal was very soft and couldnt get the jeep into gear when running. Everything went in fine, and i never disconnected any of the hydraulics. I replaced the slave and master thinking one or both may have been bad...It helped some, and i have bled and bled (tried every way we have read about).. It will go into gear fine when not running, but when running, you really need to jam the shifter...and when you put it in gear, let the clutch out and stand on the brake, the motor does stall out.. however when going up and down the road, it shifts alot better.. so im not sure where to go from here....when the trans was removed, the old bearing was severly worn, and one clip was broke....
so, the only things i can think to do yet are;
1. keep the hydraulics connected, unbolt, remove and try to bleed them better (slave has no bleeder, but 1 can be installed if necessary)
2. check the fork that the bearing attaches to to see if its tweaked at all..havent heard of thisoccuring..

any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

so it shifts fine while on the road but not going from a stop is what youre saying?

if it shifts hard all the time when moving it could definitely be your syncros being worn out.

maybe dirty fluid too, have you changed it recently?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM

i just changed the fluid when i had everything out...it does work much better when it is moving..it can be put into gear when sitting still, but takes a good force behind it...1st and reverse are the hardest to put it into..2nd and 3rd go a little easier... would the new clutch cause the scyros issue to be more of an issue?

if it is the scyros, i take it that the best thing would be to get another trans...
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

sounds like your syncros are worn out, my 95 did the same thing.
you can fix the problem, you wont need a new trans.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

you dont need a new tranny, but its not an hour long job to put in new syncros. you might as well put new bearings in too if youre doing that.

you'll need to drop the tranny and replace all of them. good project! are you making sure youre not using a fluid that is wearing them away? (ie GL-5 spec gear oil will eat away your brass syncros)
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 PM

im not 100% sure on the oil...i just changed it and i think i put 75-90 in it (everything is @ my buddy's garage), but im not sure what was in it before...im gonna go get some redline this week tho just to be safe....would the syncro job be a fairly involved job or a saturday job? im debating on calling local junkyards for a used tranny or fix this one...depends on $$$ and time...are any other jeep trans the same to make my search easier? thanks!