Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch Safefty Switch???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 98 4.0 I6
Default Clutch Safefty Switch???

i need some information on that clutch safety switch i have hear it been called. i have put an ax15 and 4.0 into an xj that had a blown 4.o and auto transmission...swapped out the harness and have it all hooked up...got power... but we have not integrated the wiring from the clutch....so when i turn the key its doing nothing... so as i understand it, you just wire that clutch switch to get power and then the computer will recognize the clutch is being pressed and cause it to turn over... am i on the right path? does anybody have any background with that switch? or even know what i am talking about...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Bypassing the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)

Bypassing the NSS has possibly been the hardest part of this whole swap, just because I could find no information regarding how to re-wire it. The Neutral Safety Switch is what keeps you from firing up your vehicle in any other gear than Park or Neutral. It is located on the passenger side of the transmission. This wire you unplugged in your engine bay during the disassembly portion. It’s to the passenger side of the block/valve cover in case you don’t remember. It is a harness with pins sticking out that make contact to your NSS harness. In my engine bay, right next to it was a second harness. The difference was black and white, literally. The NSS connector is black and the other connector is white. Take a look at the connector on the NSS side of the harness, and note the lettering for each terminal. You need to wire up the NSS to simulate it being in Park/Neutral. For this you need to snip a couple wires and solder them together. This holds the continuity in the wires, so the switch “thinks” that it is in Park/Neutral. The wire harness from your NSS is labeled at each terminal. There should be letters A-H. Here is the table for my Jeep in specific:

Connector Terminals
B + C have continuity in Park + Neutral
A + E have continuity in Reverse
A + G have continuity in 3rd
A + H have continuity in 1st and 2nd

Using this table we see that we need to bridge Terminal B and Terminal C so the continuity continues, thusly faking the sensor into thinking it is in Park/Neutral. Leave all the other wires alone. There are a couple ways you can do this. The first way is to get a spade terminal or even just a piece of metal wire (solder) and connect, or wrap around, the two pins in the harness (Terminals B + C). The second way is to snip the wires coming out of terminals B + C and to bridge the wires. Using this method you need to strip away some of the rubber outing of the wires so bare wire is shown. Twist the wires to make them straight again. Take some Solder wire and melt it onto the wire by way of a soldering iron. When the Solder is all through the wires, take away the iron and it will cool. Wrap a lot of electrical tape around the bare wires and you are finished. The same needs to be done for your reverse lights, but a switch needs to be connected in order for this to work. Here is a pic of my bypassed NSS the spade terminal method:

so with this information: i think i know what to do; bypass having that clutch saftey switch and wire the NSS in to fake out the computer...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I think you're talking about a neutral safety switch, and I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience wiring it up. Oops...My reply posted after you posted your second post.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

well i think the auto uses the neutral safety switch and the manual uses the clutch safety switch... my last post was refering to the nss to bypass the css...things are starting to make sense now...i just need to get back to the garage and wire this puppy up