Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch re-engages while my foot is down on the pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Diesel
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"
Default Clutch re-engages while my foot is down on the pedal?

I'm not sure how to word this but I've recently started having this problem.

I have a 2.5L 93 5-speed and when I use the clutch pedal to maneuver around or to coast the clutch "re-engages" while I still have my foot down!

I don't know if you imagine what I mean, here is an example:

When I get out of a parking space backwards, I slowly lift my foot off the clutch while shifted in reverse. This gets the XJ slowly out of the spot, but sometimes despite the clutch pedal being completely down, the XJ accelerates. I can't go back to neutral because the gear is stuck and the only way I can get it out is by releasing the pedal and pushing back down on it: resulting in a stall.

(Since this happened several times, I now just slam the brakes, turn off the engine, release the clutch, push the clutch, shift in neutral and restart the engine.)

When I coast the same problem occurs but in first or second gear.

On the highway off ramp, I downshift progressively to second gear and then coast until I reach the give way. But if I cannot pass then I try to shift to neutral but I can't because the clutch is engaged despite the pedal being down. So I brake hard and stall. I have to release the clutch and push it down again so I can shift into neutral and restart the engine.

Has everyone understood?

What in the world is causing this happen? Is it my driving style? FYI I also have a diesel XJ so naturally using the clutch is different on both...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

hydraulic clutch?...check the fluid level. Master cylinder or slave cylinder could be leaking.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I agree with Renegade. Air has gotten into the clutch system somehow. Most likely it is leaking.
Even though you are holding the pedal down, the actuator (a.k.a. slave cylinder) is losing pressure causing the clutch to engage.
Check for leaks.
Be sure and look at the interior where the pedal comes thru the firewall.
My old Comanche had this problem when I slipped the clutch, it was leaking from the pedal shaft onto the fuse box. This was a big mess.

bon chance mon ami

Last edited by Marcucco; 05-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The hydraulic throw out bearing used on these vehicles are known for failure. If you're lucky, you just got some air in there that can be bled out. However, once these units start to do as you describe, they will usually fail completely before long.

On another Jeep I had, mine did exactly as you are describing. I kept putting fluid in the reservoir but within two weeks it failed completely. The problem was that when mine finally failed completely, it did so suddenly and caused the Jeep to lurch forward and rear end a Lexus.

What would have been a $450 repair bill turned into a $450 bill to get the throw out bearing replaced, $100 to get the bumper and end cap replaced, and a claim on my insurance for damages to the Lexus, along with 3 years of increased insurance rates thanks to the accident.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Year: 1990 Diesel
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"

First and foremost, thanks for you replies!

Well, I'm happy to know that it can be bled out, if the problem resides here.

I checked the fluid level and it was nearly overflowing (should I check again tomorrow morning when the engine is cold?) So apparently, no leaks!

There is some sort of leak (some fluid) around the small line going from the top of the reservoir. But I don't know a lot about clutches, so honestly I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Pictures would greatly help and I will repost pictures of what I see just in a few moments, hoping that you can visually diagnose what's wrong...

On a different but related topic, how can I bleed the clutch???