Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch problems (AX15)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Clutch problems (AX15)

Alright guys, I have a pretty major problem. I decided to bleed my slave cylinder, but the bleeder valve on it was rusted so I decided to take the slave out and bleed it manually. Everything went well there, but the problems arised when I tried to reinstall the slave. No matter how I put the slave in, where I put it in, or when I put it in, the clutch pedal is rock hard after a couple pumps; the clutch is stuck engaged. I decided to start it in first gear and whenever I’d press the clutch, I’d get a symphony of grinding. Even while driving in first gear with the clutch completely out, it made a subtle grinding sound, no where near the intensity of when the clutch is in though. I know I’m going to have to pull the transmission, my question though is how did all of this happen from me just pulling the slave? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening if and when I do this next? And what exactly happened? My guess is that the clutch fork has come off its pivot or the throw out bearing just got destroyed. Clutch fork is because it when it is pressed in manually through the slave cylinder port on the bell housing, it still acts like it is in gear when it is being moved. Thanks in advance for your guy’s help, and I hope I can figure out my problem!

Last edited by Lweller; 03-30-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I just fixed my son's TJ clutch last week. So here is the thing. It is easy to get the slave in with out the rod in the clutch fork. You will know you are getting it in right if you put it in and have to push against some spring pressure to get one of the nuts started. If you don't feel that spring resistance, then the rod will be all the way out and you will get a hard pedal. Second, the way to bleed it is not with the bleeder or line fitting. Take it out, point the rod end down and push the rod in and out a few times and then it will be bled. Easy one man job if done right
Old 03-30-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
I just fixed my son's TJ clutch last week. So here is the thing. It is easy to get the slave in with out the rod in the clutch fork. You will know you are getting it in right if you put it in and have to push against some spring pressure to get one of the nuts started. If you don't feel that spring resistance, then the rod will be all the way out and you will get a hard pedal. Second, the way to bleed it is not with the bleeder or line fitting. Take it out, point the rod end down and push the rod in and out a few times and then it will be bled. Easy one man job if done right
Thanks for your speedy response. That’s the thing though, I can never find that spring resistance. Do you have any tips on how to put it in effectively?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

It is strictly by feel. Stick your finger in there and feel where the fork is first. With that line attached to it it is easy to have the push rod go in above the fork
Old 03-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
It is strictly by feel. Stick your finger in there and feel where the fork is first. With that line attached to it it is easy to have the push rod go in above the fork
When I think about what you’re telling me, something is saying there is seriously wrong with my trans. Firstly, my clutch fork moves up and down (feels like it’s on a pivot) and front to back, but not once have a found a point where it’s springy. Secondly, if I were to find that spring point, there’s really no way I can guarantee that I will get it due to the fact that everything shifts around. I will go under there today with a long rod of some sorts and poke around but like I said, I have never felt any spring tension. Thanks again for your responses.