Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Clutch problem

1994 XJ, clutch went out today and I need some advice on where to start fixing this problem.

Pedal is all the way to the floor, won't come back up unless I pull on it, then falls right back to the floor.

Any ideas on what to look for, troubleshooting, etc?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Would check your master cylinder and and slave cylinder.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

x2. if having trouble locating source, dump fluid in and see what happens. it might allow you to pump the clutch a couple of times... idk... not much knowledge on this...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5TD

Hi. I would first check that the pin hasn't come out of the pedal to master cylinder. Then check that you have fluid in the master cylinder. If there is fluid then its likely your master/slave cylinders need replacing. If therer is no fluid look around the slave to see if it has come from there. If your release bearing fork has dislodged then it could be you have blown the fluid past the seals in the slave and this should show. The fact that the pedal fall's to the floor indicates that there is no resistance in the hydraulic system at all. Did the pedal go whilst you were driving or when it was parked. If was a leak whilst driving you should have noticed the pressure in the pedal gradually decreasing and the gear changing would slowly get to the point where you would not be able to shift without stopping and turning the engine off or stalling. If it was in the linkage then it would suddenly loose pressure on the pedal without warning. If it went whilst being parked then look for any tell tale signs on the floor under the vehicle of any leakage. Hope this helps. Mike
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 1990 long block 4.0l2

Originally Posted by fireman263
Hi. I would first check that the pin hasn't come out of the pedal to master cylinder. Then check that you have fluid in the master cylinder. If there is fluid then its likely your master/slave cylinders need replacing. If therer is no fluid look around the slave to see if it has come from there. If your release bearing fork has dislodged then it could be you have blown the fluid past the seals in the slave and this should show. The fact that the pedal fall's to the floor indicates that there is no resistance in the hydraulic system at all. Did the pedal go whilst you were driving or when it was parked. If was a leak whilst driving you should have noticed the pressure in the pedal gradually decreasing and the gear changing would slowly get to the point where you would not be able to shift without stopping and turning the engine off or stalling. If it was in the linkage then it would suddenly loose pressure on the pedal without warning. If it went whilst being parked then look for any tell tale signs on the floor under the vehicle of any leakage. Hope this helps. Mike
If it was in the linkage then it would suddenly loose pressure on the pedal without warning. this happened to me today what do i do to fix it?