Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cluster temp gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Cluster temp gauge not working

I have been working to get my 94 XJ 4.0 fully operational again, and the current thorn in my side is the temp gauge.

I put a brand new temp switch and temp sensor in my motor and my gauge never moves. I even dead shorted the single wire at the back of the engine bay for the cluster and it never moved.

Where do I go from here? Should I pull the cluster apart?

Is there a known issue that I can look for?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee

Note from DJ
Did you have the ignition switch in the on position when you did the grounding test on your Coolant Temperature Gage sensor test?

Last edited by djgrayxj; 04-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug
I have been working to get my 94 XJ 4.0 fully operational again, and the current thorn in my side is the temp gauge.

I put a brand new temp switch and temp sensor in my motor and my gauge never moves. I even dead shorted the single wire at the back of the engine bay for the cluster and it never moved.

Where do I go from here? Should I pull the cluster apart?

Is there a known issue that I can look for?

Thanks.
1. Did you replace the one on the back of the block? That's the one that goes to the cluster in a 94
2. Assuming yes to #1, did you get the one for the idiot light or the one for the full gauge?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ
Did you have the ignition switch in the on position when you did the grounding test on your Coolant Temperature Gage sensor test?
Yes, Ignition was on. All other lights were on. I even tried it with the engine running.

Originally Posted by wizardpc
1. Did you replace the one on the back of the block? That's the one that goes to the cluster in a 94
2. Assuming yes to #1, did you get the one for the idiot light or the one for the full gauge?
1. Yes, I replaced the one at the back of the head. I actually replaced both of them just to be sure I was replacing the right one. Regardless, when I deadshorted the wire, replacing the sensor would have been irrelevant because I took the switch out of the equation.

2. And Yes, I got the one for the gauge. But the sensor type would have been irrelevant when I deadshorted the wire.

Thank you for double checking though. If I had not known it would have been helpful.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988

Note from DJ
I have spent some time trying to figure out the problem with your coolant temperature gage and I finely found something that might help you find the problem.

This test is going to involve you removing the instrument panel and some engineering on your part if necessary.

But if you have already solved the problem it would be nice if you let everyone know what you did.

That’s all for now till we hear from you.

Last edited by djgrayxj; 04-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.