Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking when in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Clunking when in 4x4

When I have my 91XJ in four wheel drive, it clunks from the front occasionally. There isn't really any consistency to it, it happens sometimes and other times doesn't happen at all. Thought maybe it was the U joints, the front drive shaft looks OK, just recently had the transfer case serviced.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Did you check your bushings?

Originally Posted by vande
When I have my 91XJ in four wheel drive, it clunks from the front occasionally. There isn't really any consistency to it, it happens sometimes and other times doesn't happen at all. Thought maybe it was the U joints, the front drive shaft looks OK, just recently had the transfer case serviced.

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

All bushings for shocks and control arms have been replaced recently. It's definately coming from the front drive line. It only occurs when in 4x4. It started just happening when I would go up a steep incline while wheeling. Now it is starting to happen when i drive on the road. It's not really a "clunk" noise, but I don't know what else to call it. It's almost like a bad u joint noise, but my u joints seem fine. Could it be the front diff? It's not constant, but is starting to happen more frequently.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I am having a similar problem, at first i thought it was the u-joints, but now i am confident it is my chain slipping in the transfer case. Does it only happen when you put some load on your front axle? Mine only makes the noise when turning in four wheel drive or trying to accelerate at a reasonable speed in four wheel drive.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM

That seems to be pretty close to what mines doing. Have you fixed yours?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Not yet, I pulled the front diff cover to make sure there was not an issue there since it is easier than pulling the transfer case out.

I did disconnect the driveshafts, I will probably pull the TC out and start on the rebuild this weekend.

I have found the chain online for $70 to $100. I am planning on getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the whole thing since mine was driven with no ATF in it for a while.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

You should check out JB Conversions. They have all sorts of the stuff for the NP231, including a 100% complete rebuild kit. Not sure if the kit is a HD kit or not though, considering it's only $150 and the wide chains are usually $100 on their own. You might could call and get more info though.

Originally Posted by 99exjay
Not yet, I pulled the front diff cover to make sure there was not an issue there since it is easier than pulling the transfer case out.

I did disconnect the driveshafts, I will probably pull the TC out and start on the rebuild this weekend.

I have found the chain online for $70 to $100. I am planning on getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the whole thing since mine was driven with no ATF in it for a while.