Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clunking sound under front left side

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default clunking sound under front left side

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is a noise that has been coming from near the front left cv joint behind the tire. I had it looked at. The guy replaced the hub assembly and the seal in front of the cv joint because when we looked it was completely gone. I figured that would do it, but no. The sound still happens. It's only when I brake or go over a bump. It ranges from a spongy, grinding type of noise to a full fledged knocking. I've had the brakes inspected and they are fine. I've had pretty extensive work done on the drive shafts, the rear differential, and the wheel bearings. Nothing custom. All stock. Just replacements to keep it healthy. I've read something about control arm bushings. Since the mechanic said he couldn't see anything more wrong, and it only does it about 50% of the time, I'm pretty muched stumped. I want it fixed though. Any suggestions, advice, tips, insight?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

I have the same problem with 98 XJ. i haven't taken it into the shop yet but i cant find anything wrong with it...untill for some reason i looked at the lower shock mount on the left side....only to find im missing the nut that goes on the bold holding the shock. and the threads are messed up from hitting rocks and such. im guessing the noise could be coming from the shock moving. other than that i dont know what could be causing this. just somehting you could check.