Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clock spring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6
Default Clock spring question

During my rebuild, I swapped out my steering box from a 99 Durango. In the process of not having the steering shaft on the box, I must have rotated my wheel around too many times, breaking the clock spring. ( I'm assuming it works like that). I also got a new reverse thread pitman arm joint on. Counting threads/rotations on removal, for reinstallation. Got everything bolted up and set, to find my steering wheel is upside down.. Oops.

My question is: should I set my steering wheel straight, then fix the clock spring? Or un-connect the steering shaft, set wheel center while fixing the spring, the connect the shaft back up?

I'm blind as to how the clock spring works, but I'd imagine there is a "hot spot" that I'll want to center with? Just because my wheel is "straight" doesn't necessarily mean it is, right? Or can I set the clock spring as I please, Once it's out in the open, having the steering wheel "straight"?

2000 auto, stock drive train.
Rusty's brace
Jcr box spacer

No cruise
No horn
Airbag light
Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If the clockspring is broken, you'll need to get a new one. It's part of the safety equipment and you'll have no airbag without it. Speaking from experience, no horn is a giant PITA too. As far as centering a new clockspring, before installing you rotate the inner white piece CCW until you experience some resistance, then count the rotations it takes in the CW direction to feel resistance again. Now simply divide that number in half and rotate the new number CCW. It most likely won't be perfect math, but I believe the wires should end up at the bottom portion of the rotation path. This will make more sense with a clockspring in your hand, and if I confused you at all, just use your google skills.

Now, your wheels need to be straight when you install a centered clockspring because it's set to the middle of its travel, or when the wheels would be straight. So, set the vehicles wheels straight, center and install the clockspring, then align your steering wheel up as centered as possible and slide it on the steering column.